26.1350, Fund Drive 2015: Help Support the LINGUIST List - Every Little Bit Counts

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Mar 10 23:04:53 UTC 2015

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-1350. Tue Mar 10 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 26.1350, Fund Drive 2015: Help Support the LINGUIST List - Every Little Bit Counts

*************    LINGUIST List 2015 Fund Drive    *************

              http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Sara  Couture <sara at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 19:04:08
From: LINGUIST List [linguist at linguistlist.org]

Dear Colleagues,

Our Conference pages on the LINGUIST List web site have on average 300,000 to
400,000 views – monthly. Additionally, conference announcements reach more
than 50,000 people via the mailing lists and social media. The information on
our web pages has this overwhelming impact for a reason. First, our readers
can rely on the fact that they are receiving verified informative messages
from us. Second, this is probably the only platform distributing information
in the field of linguistics that is both international and cross-disciplinary,
cutting across multiple subfields of linguistics. Finally and perhaps most
importantly, our services are and remain free to the readers. We are deeply
convinced that the services we offer should also be free to the submitters,
and that - by circulating relevant professional information about linguistic
events – we contribute to the success of the conferences you organize, the
exchange of ideas and the growth of the discipline as a whole.

Unfortunately, the sad fact is that our operations cost money and we have no
institutional supporter which would guarantee to cover all of our costs. Our
costs are not little. We support our student editors by covering their
tuitions and offering small stipends and hourly pay, as well as paying the
salary of a programmer. We also need to pay the costs of the data storage and
network traffic. The time to maintain the LINGUIST List servers and to edit
and change all conference announcements and related postings consumes more
than 40 hours a week. The operation and maintenance of the free service
EasyAbs adds even more to the time and cost equation of the LINGUIST List.

Without an exaggeration, our annual Fund Drive is tremendously important for
us. Without the Fund Drive – a successful Fund Drive – we cannot guarantee
smooth operations for the coming year. We only have the funds from the fund
drive to cover the operations during the summer break from June to September.
A successful Fund Drive demonstrates to our host institution the support of
our community, our cause, and the importance of our mission. Please consider
donating to the LINGUIST List and distributing this message to your
colleagues. Even small donations matter if there are many of them.

Sincerely,
The LINGUIST List Team