26.1382, Presenting Our Second Featured Linguist of 2015: Kleanthes K. Grohmann

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Mar 12 13:53:12 UTC 2015

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-1382. Thu Mar 12 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 26.1382, Presenting Our Second Featured Linguist of 2015: Kleanthes K. Grohmann

*************    LINGUIST List 2015 Fund Drive    *************

              http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Andrew Lamont <alamont at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2015 09:48:36
From: LINGUIST List [linguist at linguistlist.org]

 Dear subscribers,

We are pleased to present you our featured linguist Kleanthes Grohmann for
Fund Drive 2015. Please support the LINGUIST List editors and activities with
a donation: http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/

Kleanthes Grohmann

Born and raised in Herford, Ostwestfalen, with Greek roots, I left for
university at age 21 after the usual, school (9 years of torture) and
alternative civilian service (13 months back then). I found salvation in
beautiful Wales where I enrolled for a BA (Hons) in Linguistics at the
University of North Wales, Bangor (Bangor University nowadays). As it
happened, of all courses listed in the catalogue, Linguistics was the only
subject I didn’t have much of an opinion about (like, “I don’t want to do
this, I don’t want to do that”) — in fact, I didn’t even know what it was.
Good start. Little did I know that this process of elimination would shape my
future (i.e. current) life. (Well, truth be told, I had a wonderful Ancient
Greek and Philosophy teacher in high school who got me started thinking about
Indo-European language families and relations, but that was about it.)

After getting hooked on generative grammar (with many thanks to my excellent
teachers Ian Roberts, Bob Borsley, and Anna Roussou!), I concentrated on
theoretical linguistics, spent an Erasmus exchange semester at the Université
de Genève (taking courses with Liliane Haegeman, Luigi Rizzi, Ur Shlonsky,
Adriana Belletti, and others), and graduated in July 1996 with an Honors
Thesis on scrambling and weak pronouns in German. With a BA in my pocket and a
lot of hope in my heart, I enrolled for doctoral studies in the Department of
Linguistics’ graduate program at the University of Maryland, College Park.
(...)

Read more:

http://blog.linguistlist.org/fund-drive/featured-linguist-kleanthes-k-grohmann/