26.1425, Blog: The LINGUIST List Operation

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Sat Mar 14 19:28:12 UTC 2015

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-1425. Sat Mar 14 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 26.1425, Blog: The LINGUIST List Operation

*************    LINGUIST List 2015 Fund Drive    *************

              http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Ashley Parker <ashley at linguistlist.org>

Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2015 15:25:13
From: LINGUIST List [linguist at linguistlist.org]
Subject: Blog: The LINGUIST List Operation

 Dear LINGUIST List Subscribers,

After 25 years of the LINGUIST List, the technology and environment is again up to date, ready for the next 25 years, but there is still a lot to do.

Currently, we can report that:

- The LINGUIST List website is up and running, faster and more stable than before, not only the newly written ‘vintage website’ with the new PostgreSQL database and Railo ColdFusion engine, but also the new website, which we could
not continue developing since spring 2014 (based on Django and Python) because of our move from Michigan to Indiana.

- EMELD is up and running, with some minor issues to fix from time to time. The code has been transfered from Adobe ColdFusion and Oracle to Railo and PostgreSQL.

- The list server is back and all the archives and other functionalities are up, hosting not just LINGUIST and LINGLITE, but also many other lists that some of you might be subscribed to. We are now using the GNU open source
server Mailman.

- LEGO is up, with some issues that we still need to fix. This site was written in PHP and specific extensions and libraries. It uses in the backend the Apache Solr indexing engine running on a Tomcat server. This was a lot of
work, to reinstall it and set it up. Some minor issues need to be fixed that have to do with the Solr communication in searches.

- GOLD is up and running. It was also written in PHP using the Zend framework. We had to port old code to new server and software environments.

- MultiTree is up, both the new and the old site. The old system still needs to be fixed, and the new one that was developed using Django and D3js needs some more development. The old system was written in one of the early Ruby on Rails versions. The port to the more recent Railo versions was quite complex.

- OLAC is connected again, thanks to the help of many colleagues, e.g. Gary Simons, Steven Bird and others.

- ODIN is up, and needs some minor corrections.

- LL-Map is installed and needs to be activated again. Soon we should have the system and the connections up again, and all the polygons and maps available for browsing and search, linked to MultiTree, even LEGO and GOLD etc. There are new ways to contribute own maps and information now.

As many of you know, the LINGUIST List has a very low operational budget. The team and the operation now need your help. We depend on the Fund Drive 2015 to be able to continue with normal operations during the summer 2015, and during the next academic year.

Please visit http://blog.linguistlist.org/ to read more about the LINGUIST List operations and consider making a donation at http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/donate/. You donations are vital and so very much appreciated.

The LINGUIST List Team