26.2309, Calls: Cognitive Sci, Computational Ling, Philosophy of Lang, Translation/USA

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon May 4 18:05:59 UTC 2015

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-2309. Mon May 04 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 26.2309, Calls: Cognitive Sci, Computational Ling, Philosophy of Lang, Translation/USA

*************    LINGUIST List 2015 Fund Drive    *************

              http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Anna White <awhite at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 04 May 2015 14:05:50
From: Sean O Nuallain [eireann at yahoo.com]
Subject: Session on Ontology

Full Title: Session on Ontology

Date: 13-Aug-2015 - 13-Aug-2015
Location: Berkeley, Ca, USA
Contact Person: Sean O Nuallain
Meeting Email: eireann at yahoo.com

Linguistic Field(s): Cognitive Science; Computational Linguistics; Philosophy of Language; Translation

Call Deadline: 16-Jun-2015

Meeting Description:

It is our belief that much grief, and waste of taxpayers' money, could be avoided with an appropriate reparse of nature that acknowledges there are rifts between the quantum and classical physical realities, and further ontological discontinuities at the biological and intentional thresholds. It is further our belief that the relative failure of the HGP, and imminent debacle of both the Obama and “Blue brain” neuro initiatives, are dues to precisely this unwillingness to cater to ontology. Moreover, even incessant crawling of the web has failed to yield anything other than at best mediocre results in machine translation.

Finally, this tendency manifests itself in the social sciences with psychologism, the reduction of exigent social dynamics to cognitive and other psychological theories of how these forces are processed. This has led on the one hand to the non-engaged intellectual; on the other, to bewildering interpretations of postmodern thinkers geared mainly to giving instructors a free pass.

Call for Papers:

This session invites papers that address technical issues in science and the arts  under this rubric and/or consider the question of authentic political engagement. In particular, the latter category of papers may explore the fact that reality is relative to consciousness and yet transcends it, As we act, we become aware of being objects in a social space that yet can be magicked away in a classroom...