26.2400, Calls: English, Discourse Analysis/UK

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu May 7 21:35:33 UTC 2015

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-2400. Thu May 07 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 26.2400, Calls: English, Discourse Analysis/UK

*************    LINGUIST List 2015 Fund Drive    *************

              http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Erin Arnold <earnold at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 07 May 2015 17:35:11
From: Chris Hart [c.hart at lancaster.ac.uk]
Subject: Discourses of Disorder: Representations of Riots, Strikes and Protests

Full Title: Discourses of Disorder: Representations of Riots, Strikes and Protests

Date: 15-Oct-2015 - 16-Oct-2015
Location: Newcastle, United Kingdom
Contact Person: Chris Hart
Meeting Email: c.hart at lancaster.ac.uk
Web Site: http://www.criticaldiscoursegroup.net/discourses-of-disorder

Linguistic Field(s): Discourse Analysis

Subject Language(s): English (eng)

Call Deadline: 31-May-2015

Meeting Description:

Instances of civil disorder in the form of riots, strikes and protests have
become increasingly frequent in response to economic decline and other
structural conditions, in the UK, Europe and globally. Far from political
apathy, these activities suggest increased levels of public concern and civic
engagement. We see such forms of engagement, as well as media coverage and
government responses, as part of a political process which contains a
significant discursive dimension. Discourse plays a fundamental part in
defining agendas, voicing objections, framing debates, legitimating or
delegitimating actions, and in formulating policies. We therefore understand
the discursive practices of social movements, the media and policy-makers, as
political practices. Understanding the complexities of this political process
and the discursive dimensions involved requires a multidisciplinary approach
addressing issues of language, image, journalism, media, power and political
economy. In so far as media and discourse research each provide insights into
our understanding of social, historical, political and economic contexts and
conflicts, the symposium will be of interest for scholars concerned more
broadly with semiotics and social practice and the symposium will address
representations of riots, strike and protests.

Call for Papers:

>From a multidisciplinary perspective, this two-day symposium seeks to explore the discourses of social movements, the media and policy makers, the relations between them, and the role they play in the political process. Papers presenting perspectives from Social Movement Studies, Media and Journalism Studies, as well as Critical (Multimodal) Discourse Studies are particularly welcome. We are interested in papers which explore, within international social and political settings, the discursive dimensions of disorder representing or responding to a range of causes/contexts which might include but are not limited to:

- Industrial disputes and trade unions
- Environmental activism
- Ethnic and race relations
- Austerity discourse and protests
- Capitalist conditions and conflicts
- “Populist” protest movements
- International protest movements
- Digital activism and power
- Surveillance, control and protests
- Policing and law & order

Whilst we are currently witnessing renewed levels of civil disorder, this is by no means a recent phenomenon.  We are therefore interested in historical as well as contemporary instances of civil disorder and, further, in the intertextual relations between Discourses of disorder past and present.

Abstracts of up to 400 words should be submitted in a MS Word document by 31 May 2015.  Please include in the document your name, affiliation and paper title.

We are pleased to confirm the participation of two guest speakers:

- Tracey Jensen (University of East London)
- Nicholas Jones (author and journalist)

For full CfP see http://www.criticaldiscoursegroup.net/discourses-of-disorder