26.2412, Jobs: Computational Linguistics: Computational Linguist, RTI International

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri May 8 17:12:04 UTC 2015

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-2412. Fri May 08 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 26.2412, Jobs: Computational Linguistics: Computational Linguist, RTI International

*************    LINGUIST List 2015 Fund Drive    *************

              http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Andrew Lamont <alamont at linguistlist.org>

Date: Fri, 08 May 2015 13:11:56
From: John Hajdin [StatEpi-Recruiting at rti.org]
Subject: Computational Linguistics: Computational Linguist, RTI International, North Carolina, USA

University or Organization: RTI International
Department: Division for Statistical and Data Sciences
Job Location: North Carolina, USA
Web Address: http://www.rti.org
Job Title: Computational Linguist
Job Rank: Computational Linguist; Researcher

Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics

Marketing Statement

RTI’s Center for Data Science (CDS) seeks an enthusiastic, inquisitive
computational linguist specializing in natural language processing and text
analytics to be based in Research Triangle Park, NC.  The mission of the
Center for Data Science is to advance and support scientific research
conducted at RTI in many different domains.  Our goal is to solve problems and
inform decision-making through innovation, collaboration, and technical
expertise.  We extract, merge, analyze and visualize historic and real-time
data from a heterogeneous sources to make predictions of future events, inform
decisions that will lead to optimal outcomes, and classify new observations
that can guide actions and target interventions.  The Center for Data Science
has tripled in size since it was officially organized in the spring of 2014.
The successful candidate will work with a growing team of RTI data scientists
and domain experts on government, foundation, commercial, and internal
analytics projects.  We take our mission “to improve the human condition”
seriously and seek staff who resonate with it.

Job Description

Our staff have opportunities to lead original research, create data science
tools and data products, present at conferences, publish technical papers, and
impact the world.  RTI International is looking for a computational linguist
with interests in data science to work on a variety of NLP/text analytics
projects.  The successful candidate has strong scripting skills and will work
interactively with others at the intersection of research and data products.
Of particular interest are candidates with experience/expertise in health,
education and workforce, energy, or food and agriculture.  Our computational
linguist will collaborate closely with fellow data scientists, subject matter
experts, and web developers to ensure functionality is designed properly so
that it’s stable, scalable, usable, of high quality, and meets client needs.
Finally, the successful candidate will research, experiment, and build
prototypes using new technologies applicable to the proposed solutions.

Responsibilities

- Collaborate with a team of data scientists, computer scientists, and subject
matter experts to solve problems using approaches, techniques, and methods
related to natural language processing and text analytics.
- Analyze and interpret unstructured text data to solve and address highly
complex research problems and evaluate scenarios to make predictions on future
outcomes and to support decision-making
- Lead activities related to data cleaning, text analytics, network analysis,
predictive modeling, and interactive reporting
- Develop and implement text mining algorithms
- Expand data science practice within RTI and with external clients:
participate in meetings with clients, assist in scoping projects and designing
solutions based on client needs and problems to be solved, educate and inspire
researchers and upper management throughout RTI
- Communicate results through a variety of methods, such as static and
interactive reports, data visualizations, client and conference presentations,
and scientific journal submissions
- Collaborate with teams in proposal writing

Qualifications

- Master’s degree in Linguistics, Computer Science, Statistics, Applied Math,
Engineering, Data Science, Computational Social Science, or related field or
experience
- At least 3 years of experience applying NLP/text analytics methodologies,
particularly using open source software, ideally in any of the following
domains:  health, education and workforce

Application Deadline: 07-Nov-2015 (Open until filled)

Web Address for Applications: http://www.rti.org/job16088
Contact Information:
	Mr. John Hajdin
	Email: StatEpi-Recruiting at rti.org