26.2472, Last Call for Fund Drive 2015 Donations: Can You Match the Support of Our Advisors?

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu May 14 01:20:07 UTC 2015

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-2472. Wed May 13 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 26.2472, Last Call for Fund Drive 2015 Donations: Can You Match the Support of Our Advisors?

*************    LINGUIST List 2015 Fund Drive    *************

              http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Ashley Parker <ashley at linguistlist.org>

Date: Wed, 13 May 2015 21:16:03
From: LINGUIST List [linguist at linguistlist.org]

 Dear Colleagues,

This is our last call for donations this spring. Apart from the LINGUIST List crew, many other people put in significant effort this year to support the activities of the LINGUIST List. We would like to thank our colleagues from the eLinguistics Foundation who helped with the formal transition of the LINGUIST List to Indiana University. Our current school has offered us a lot of support for the start – our university fully funds two editors and covers the difference between in-state and out-of-state fees for two further editors. Also, individual colleagues received us warmly with generous donations during this fund drive – IU has been leading in the school challenge for most of the fund drive with, as of today, nearly $3000 in individual donations. We also want to thank the schools that picked up the challenge, notably University of Washington, University of Stanford, and North Western University Potchefstroom
and Vaal Triangle Campuses.

At this point, we would like to thank also our Advisory Board (https://linguistlist.org/people/advisors.cfm), whose members helped us during this fund drive and ran fiery campaigns in support of the LINGUIST List in their local (and not only local) institutions. In this last step, our advisors challenge you to match their pledges in this fund drive and donate another $8,000 between now and Sunday at 11:00 pm Eastern Time. Even small contributions, when added together, make a big difference!

Even with this last heroic effort, we are some $40,000 short to run the LINGUIST List operations comfortably over the next academic year and to offer the amount and the range of services that you are used to. Our financial situation right now does not allow us to pay more than the two in-state-tuition graduate assistants and we face the situation that our moderators, who worked for the last year full time at the LINGUIST List, will have to partly phase out during the next year to additionally assume their normal responsibilities as faculty at IU. This will make the staff shortage even more acute. While we will definitely try to further optimize the processes and do more within less time, it is very likely that we will have to cut some unpaid services, or ask for a payment for some of the services that were so-far offered for free, or cut very work intensive services.

The maintenance of Easy Abs alone, for example, takes on average one hour of our programmer's time - daily. Per day we get a dozen mails asking for changes or corrections and other editorial effort for conference or internship announcements. Such time consuming tasks might have to be redefined and redesigned.

We can still halt these cuts in services. Even when the fund drive is over, you can continue supporting us with one-time or recurrent donations by selecting The Linguist List Discretionary Fund:

https://www.myiu.org/one-time-gift

We thank you all for your support during Fund Drive 2015!

Sincerely,
The LINGUIST List Team