26.4891, Confs: General Ling, Psycholing, Socioling/Italy

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Nov 3 19:35:24 UTC 2015

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-4891. Tue Nov 03 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 26.4891, Confs: General Ling, Psycholing, Socioling/Italy

Editor for this issue: Ashley Parker <ashley at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2015 14:35:00
From: Anabella-Gloria Niculescu-Gorpin [anabellaniculescu at hotmail.com]
Subject: How Is English Changing the Languages We Speak?

How Is English Changing the Languages We Speak?

Date: 31-Aug-2016 - 03-Sep-2017
Location: Naples, Italy
Contact: Anabella-Gloria Niculescu-Gorpin
Contact Email: anabellaniculescu at hotmail.com

Linguistic Field(s): General Linguistics; Psycholinguistics; Sociolinguistics

Meeting Description:

This workshop is part of the 49th Meeting of the Societas Linguistica Europaea.

The influence of English on various languages has been the topic of numerous studies in socio-linguistics over these last decades, However, this is a topic that can hardly be exhausted, as we are dealing with an ongoing phenomenon that generates significant language change.

This workshop aims to bring together researchers (linguists, sociologists, psychologists, etc.)  whose studies focus on the current changes languages undergo due to their immediate or mediated contact with English. More specifically, we encourage multidisciplinary, experimental contributions that discuss such changes taking into account the speakers’ perspective and analyse from various perspectives the way in which English is changing the languages we know and speak.

The topics we are proposing are listed below, but we are also open to other approaches or perspectives that may be relevant to the overall topic:

-  lexical, morpho-syntactic and other changes due to the influence of English
-  speakers’ attitudes towards mother tongue vs. English
- code-switching or mixed languages
- national language policies and local reactions to the English influence
- potential psycho- and socio-linguistic explanations for such language change phenomena

Convenor: Dr. A.G. Niculescu-Gorpin (The ”Iorgu Iordan - Al. Rosetti” Institute of Linguistics, Romanian Academy