26.4972, Confs: Historical Linguistics, Linguistic Theories, Phonology/UK

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Nov 6 21:00:36 UTC 2015

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-4972. Fri Nov 06 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 26.4972, Confs: Historical Linguistics, Linguistic Theories, Phonology/UK

Editor for this issue: Anna White <awhite at linguistlist.org>

Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2015 16:00:14
From: Pavel Iosad [pavel.iosad at ed.ac.uk]
Subject: 2nd Edinburgh Symposium on Historical Phonology

2nd Edinburgh Symposium on Historical Phonology

Date: 03-Dec-2015 - 04-Dec-2015
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
Contact: Pavel Iosad
Contact Email: sympo-org at mlist.is.ed.ac.uk
Meeting URL: http://www.lel.ed.ac.uk/symposium-on-historical-phonology

Linguistic Field(s): Historical Linguistics; Linguistic Theories; Phonology

Meeting Description:

The Second Edinburgh Symposium on Historical Phonology
3-4 December 2015, Informatics Forum, University of Edinburgh

What do we need to consider in order to understand phonological change? The Second Edinburgh Symposium on Historical Phonology will offer an opportunity to discuss fundamental questions in historical phonology as well as specific analyses of historical data.

Our plenary speaker, sponsored by the Angus McIntosh Centre for Historical Linguistics, is:

- Ranjan Sen (University of Sheffield)

The invited speaker will address foundational issues in the discipline over two one-hour slots, one on each day of the symposium, and there will be considerable time allocated to discussion.

Programme:

The programme 2nd Edinburgh Symposium on Historical Phonology is now available at the conference website (http://www.lel.ed.ac.uk/symposium-on-historical-phonology/) and below.

Everyone is welcome to attend! Registration is open until 27 November. The registration fee is £10.

9.00-9.30
Registration: Informatics Forum Atrium

9.30-10.00
Paul Kiparsky (Stanford University)
Farewell to Processes

10.00-10.30
David Bowie (University of Alaska Anchorage)
Tracing the early development of a vowel shift

10.30-11.00
Nicholas Zair (University of Cambridge)
Vowel epenthesis in Oscan

11.00-11.30
Stefano Coretta (University of York)
A new case of ‘rhinoglottophilia’: from nasalization to aspiration

11.30-11.45 Tea, coffee & biscuits

11.45-12.45
Poster Session 1

12.45-2.00 Midday break

2.00-2.30
B. Elan Dresher & Aditi Lahiri (University of Toronto & University of Oxford)
Romance loanwords and stress shift in English: a quantitative approach

2.30-3.00
Jiayin Gao (Laboratoire de Phonétique et Phonologie, Paris 3/CNRS)
Sociolinguistic motivations in sound change: loss of low tone breathy voice in Shanghai Chinese

3.00-3.30
Bert Botma, Pavel Iosad & Hidetoshi Shiraishi (Leiden, Edinburgh & Sapporo Gakuin)
Phonetic (non-)explanation in historical phonology: duration, harmony, and dissimilation

3.30-4.00
R. Bermúdez-Otero, M. Baranowski, G. Bailey & D. Turton (Manchester & Newcastle)
A constant rate effect in Manchester /t/-glottalling: high-frequency words are ahead of, but
change at the same rate as, low-frequency words

4.00-4.30 Tea, coffee & biscuits

4.30-5.30
Ranjan Sen (University of Sheffield)
‘What keeps a historical phonologist up at night?’ Part 1
[Angus McIntosh Centre for Historical Linguistics plenary speaker]

Friday, 4 December: Informatics Forum, room G.07

9.30-10.30
Ranjan Sen (University of Sheffield)
‘What keeps a historical phonologist up at night?’ Part 2

10.30-11.00 Laurel MacKenzie (University of Manchester)
Opacity over time: charting the paths of fricative voicing in English plurals

11.00-11.30
Ben Hermans (Meertens Institute)
On the genesis of the Limburgian tonal accents

11.30-11.45 Tea, coffee & biscuits

11.45-12.45
Poster Session 2

12.45-2.00 Midday break

2.00-2.30
Warren Maguire (University of Edinburgh)
Pre-r Dentalisation in English and Scots

2.30-3.00
Emily Barth (Cornell University)
Tone loss in Sranan Creole: rethinking contact-motivated change

3.00-3.30
Josef Fruehwald (University of Edinburgh)
Generations, lifespans, and the zeitgeist

3.40-4.00 Tea, coffee & biscuits

4.00-4.30
J. Joseph Perry (University of Cambridge)
Allomorphy, morphophonology and opacity in the accentuation of the Vedic noun

4.30-5.00
Michael Ramsammy & Patrycja Strycharczuk (University of Edinburgh & QMU)
>From phonetic enhancement to phonological underspecification: new diachronic perspectives on sibilants in European Portuguese

5.00-5.30
Donka Minkova & Nikolaus Ritt (UCLA & University of Vienna)
Middle English Open Syllable Lengthening, syllabification and foot construction

Posters:

Laura Arnold (University of Edinburgh)
The tonal phonologies of Raja Ampat languages: towards a historical account

Phillip Backley & Kuniya Nasukawa (Tohoku Gakuin University)
The origins of Japanese h from an element-based perspective

Stefano Canalis (University of Bologna)
Open syllable diphthongization in Italian and irregular sound change

András Cser (Pázmány Péter Catholic University)
The development of the placeless nasal in Latin

Ander Egurtzegi (University of the Basque Country)
The evolution of the different distributions of contrastive vowel nasalization in Basque

Patrick Honeybone (University of Edinburgh)
Are there impossible changes? θ > f but f ≯ θ

Adèle Jatteau & Michaela Hejná (Université Paris 8 & Newcastle University)
The phonetic precursors of aspiration dissimilation: evidence from Aberystwyth English

Klaas Seinhorst (University of Amsterdam)
The role of complexity in possible sound changes

Monique Tangelder (Radboud University Nijmegen)
Secondary stress in Old English, optionality and uncertainty: manuscript spacing and clues to metre

Kevin Stadler (University of Edinburgh)
Computational phylogenetics for linguistic reconstruction: quantitative tools for a qualitative problem?

Birgit Alber (University of Verona)
Graduality and typological analysis

Sonja Dahlgren (University of Helsinki)
Outcome of longIterm language contact: towards a definition of an Egyptian Greek variant

Daniel Huber (Université de Toulouse 2)
Apparent time changes in the phonological forms and pragmatic use of because in Bolton, Lancashire English

Holly Kennard & Aditi Lahiri (University of Oxford)
Nonesuch contrasts via loanwords

Tyler Lau, Maria Polinsky & Jake Seaton (University of California, Berkeley & Harvard University)
Modeling the bifurcation of the neuter gender from Latin to Romanian

Martin Macak (University of Georgia)
Counting syllables is down for the count: the case of classical Armenian aorist subjunctive dissimilation of affricates

Roland Noske (Université Lille 3 / STL)
Typological shift from a word language to a syllable language and vice versa

Nasir A. Syed (Labela University – LUAWMS)
Dimensions of ɦ-metathesis and phonetic adjustment

Gary Taylor-Raebel & Danielle Turton (University of Essex & Newcastle University)
The short-/æ/ split in Southern British English

          http://multitree.org/