26.4989, Calls: Anthropological Linguistics; Sociolinguistics/ Critical Multilingualism Studies (Jrnl)

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Nov 9 17:15:00 UTC 2015

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-4989. Mon Nov 09 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 26.4989, Calls: Anthropological Linguistics; Sociolinguistics/ Critical Multilingualism Studies (Jrnl)

Editor for this issue: Andrew Lamont <alamont at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2015 12:14:56
From: Andrea Hollington [andrea.hollington at yahoo.com]

Full Title: Critical Multilingualism Studies

Linguistic Field(s): Anthropological Linguistics; Sociolinguistics

Call Deadline: 31-Jan-2016

Language ideologies - Call for contributions - CMS special issue

Language ideologies are vital to concepts of diversity, and they are as multivocal and diverse as the (multilingual) communities that refer to them. What we are supposed to think about words, languages, linguistic performances and ways of speaking has great impact on how we want our linguistic practices to be seen or perceived. However, local ideologies and concepts of language reflect the complex entanglements between linguistics and coloniality, the notion of standard and the experience of language as practice, and personal desires and subversive strategies. This invites linguistic contributions that focus on micro-perspectives and small stories.

Societies characterized by multilingualism often reflect multilayered language ideologies, which feature complex conceptualizations of identity, belonging and differentiations. Observations made in such societies reflect that these communities of practice often exhibit conflicting ideologies and contested concepts of language. The ways in which these are negotiated - by individuals, symbolically, in institutional frameworks, on the community level, and in linguistic academic discourse etc. - are in the focus of our planned publication. We therefore invite contributions informed by both empirical research and critical reflections of linguistic theory that will shed more light on the actual relevance of local language ideologies for the ways languages are actually conceptualized and used, especially outside Eurocentric contexts.

The planned special issue consequently seeks to investigate language ideologies of speakers, social groups and communities of practice in a range of contexts focusing on Africa and the Atlantic space. The objective is also to discuss the history of ideas and identity discourses, which will shed light on the underlying mechanisms of deliberate linguistic change and multilingual practices driven by ideologies. By looking at multilingual repertoires as social practices and by investigating the role of language ideologies in both, linguistic and linguists' practices with regard to phenomena such as creolization, standard, writing, and purism, we are hoping to open the way for a new perspective on language as practice, a fluid concept, and shared experience, instead of discrete entities, things, and structure. Moreover, we intend to demonstrate how Western concepts and ideologies of standard language, mother tongue, and linguistic identity on the one hand changed or created languages in A
 frica, but how on the other hand ''indigenous'' language ideologies continued to play a role, and - in a sometimes quite subversive way - are part of linguistic practices and concepts that largely undermine Western ideas about language.

Contributions, preferably of max. 10.000 words, should be submitted by January, 31 2016 to astorch at uni-koeln.de or andrea.hollington at yahoo.de (guest editors).