26.5011, Calls: General Linguistics/USA

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Nov 10 16:18:40 UTC 2015

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-5011. Tue Nov 10 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 26.5011, Calls: General Linguistics/USA

Editor for this issue: Anna White <awhite at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 11:18:32
From: Tran Truong [clsfiftytwo at gmail.com]
Subject: 52nd Annual Meeting of the Chicago Linguistic Society

Full Title: 52nd Annual Meeting of the Chicago Linguistic Society
Short Title: CLS 52

Date: 21-Apr-2016 - 23-Apr-2016
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Contact Person: Tran Truong
Meeting Email: clsfiftytwo at gmail.com
Web Site: http://chicagolinguisticsociety.org/

Call Deadline: 03-Jan-2016

Meeting Description:

The Chicago Linguistic Society invites abstracts in any area of current research on the human language faculty, to include phonetics, phonology, morphology, syntax, semantics, pragmatics, historical linguistics, and sociolinguistics, as well as allied fields in the cognitive and social sciences. Accepted participants will be allotted 20 minutes to present and 10 minutes to answer questions. Presented papers will be published in the CLS proceedings. We particularly encourage submissions relevant to this year’s proposed parasessions on negation and polarity, language endangerment, language change, and morphosyntactic features.

Invited Speakers:

Edith Aldridge (Washington)
Hans Boas (UT-Austin)
Anastasia Giannakidou (UChicago)
Caroline Heycock (Edinburgh)
Andrew Nevins (UCL)
Henriette de Swart (Utrecht)
Sarah Thomason (Michigan)
Ming Xiang (UChicago).

Call for Papers:

Submission deadline: January 3, 2016, by 11:59 PM CST
Notification: February 23, 2016
Conference dates: April 21–23, 2016

Negation & Polarity
Negation is a universal property of natural language, and creates a complex area of study where morphology, syntax, semantics, pragmatics and logic meet. Negative polarity, likewise, has enjoyed considerable attention in the past 30 years, with lots of important generalizations emerging from intense cross linguistic work. We invite submissions addressing aspects of negation and polarity, including: (a) the nature and formal characterization of polarity items, negative quantifiers, and n-words; (b) the status of expletive negation; and (c) the relation between explicit and implicit negations. Theoretical as well as experimental approaches are welcome, as well as data from a variety of languages.

Language Endangerment: Causes & Interventions
The study of language endangerment lies at the intersection of numerous areas of research, including: language policy, language attitudes and ideology, and language shift. We welcome all submissions that explore the root causes of endangerment, as well as those that attend to the methodologies of documentation and revitalization. We are also interested in submissions that evaluate how best to treat data from endangered languages in established theoretical frameworks.

Language Change
Knowledge of how languages have changed over time can contribute much to our understanding of synchronic systems. We therefore urge submissions grounded in a diachronic perspective, which may include linguistic reconstruction, methods in modeling change, historical linguistics, linguistic typology, sociolinguistic approaches to
change, language variation, and language contact. Submissions that engage new methodologies of reconstruction, or the reconstruction of understudied languages and families, are especially encouraged.

Features & Metafeatures
The atomic, context-free features that characterize categories such as person and number appear to exhibit ‘metafeatures’: they may be binary or privative in their valence; marked or unmarked in their values; dominant or dominated in their positions within hierarchies; recursive or nonrecursive in their application. Certain categories appear to resist degradation into abstract primitives, to include noun classes, social deixis, and perhaps case. We wish to attract submissions that examine: (a) the architecture of morphosyntactic (meta)features (e.g., filters, geometries, valencies); (b) the limits of featural reductionism; and (c) the syntactic, semantic, and/or cognitive consequences of particular feature systems.

Guidelines for Submission:

Submissions that fail to comply with any of the following guidelines will be automatically rejected.
(1) Submit abstracts in PDF format with the filename PaperTitle.pdf.
(2) Include the paper title and keywords (i.e., CLS session title, linguistic subfield(s), language(s)/language family) within the abstract.
(3) Limit abstracts to two letter-sized pages in length, including data and references. Use one-inch margins and a font size no smaller than 11 points. Incorporate data into the main text of the abstract, not on a separate page.
(4) Anonymize submissions by not including author name(s) in the abstract or filename.
(5) Use the EasyChair platform (https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=cls52) for the submission of
abstracts.
(6) Restrict submissions to one individual and one joint abstract per author, or two joint abstracts per author.

          http://multitree.org/