26.5027, Calls: Cog Sci, General Ling, Lang Acq, Neuroling, Psycholing/USA

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Nov 10 18:19:44 UTC 2015

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-5027. Tue Nov 10 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 26.5027, Calls: Cog Sci, General Ling, Lang Acq, Neuroling, Psycholing/USA

Editor for this issue: Amanda Foster <amanda at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 13:18:45
From: Eva Wittenberg [ewittenberg at ucsd.edu]
Subject: Events in Language and Cognition

Full Title: Events in Language and Cognition
Short Title: events2016

Date: 02-Mar-2016 - 02-Mar-2016
Location: Gainesville, Florida, USA
Contact Person: Eva Wittenberg
Meeting Email: cunyevents2016 at gmail.com
Web Site: https://sites.google.com/site/eventslangcog2016/home

Linguistic Field(s): Cognitive Science; General Linguistics; Language Acquisition; Neurolinguistics; Psycholinguistics

Call Deadline: 18-Nov-2015

Meeting Description:

Understanding how speakers wrap event conceptualizations into linguistic descriptions is crucial for both linguistic theory and psychology. A number of rich linguistic theories have been proposed to account for the observed ways in how meaning maps to syntax within and across languages, but their psychological status remains unclear. These theories often propose specific representational architecture, ranging from prototype theories to predicate decomposition. How are these conceptual models and mappings grounded in non-linguistic cognition? On the side of cognitive science, our understanding of event representation, especially in infancy, has advanced dramatically in the past several decades, potentially opening up new possibilities for evaluating the plausibility of proposed argument structure theories. What can the understanding of event perception and cognition teach us about the nature of semantic representations for language, and how can psycholinguistic evidence contribute to
 research on event structure?

We aim to bring together psycholinguists interested in how language maps onto event structure, adding momentum to a growing field of interdisciplinary scholarship of event representation in linguistics, psycholinguistics, and cognitive science. We define three broad questions of interest:

(1) How do children and adults mentally represent events at the level of abstraction that is encoded in language?

(2) How is the structure of events represented in and conveyed by language?

(3) How to the constraints of the infant cognitive system and questions of learnability constrain our theories of language – and how does language constrain our theories of the infant cognitive system?

Several fields are currently approaching each of these questions, though with different theoretical underpinnings, methods, and terminologies. Given that, what should we be working on as an interdisciplinary field? Are there specific empirical questions that would be relevant to all theoretical perspectives? And what is necessary in order to bring together psycholinguists working on different questions?

In this workshop, we want to both foster an exchange of recent work, and set a possible agenda for psycholinguistic research on event structure as conveyed by language.

Confirmed Invited Speakers:

Elsi Kaiser (USC) and
Jesse Snedeker (Harvard)

2nd Calls for Abstracts:

Events in Language and Cognition

Since CUNY Sentence Processing has moved their deadline to November 15, we are moving the abstract submission deadline for the March 2 workshop to November 18. Details below!

Abstract Submissions:

We invite submissions of anonymous abstracts for 30 minute talks including discussion, or posters. Submissions should be in PDF or Word format on maximally two pages (12pt, single-spaced), including examples, figures, tables, and references as needed. Please upload your abstracts here by the deadline listed below.

Important Dates:

November 18, 2015: Submission deadline
December 23, 2015: Notification of acceptance
March 2, 2016: Workshop

Workshop Organizers:

Joshua Hartshorne, Boston College
Melissa Kline, MIT/Harvard
Eva Wittenberg, University of California, San Diego

Please direct all further inquiries to the workshop organizers to cunyevents2016 at gmail.com. We look forward to seeing you in Florida!

          http://multitree.org/