26.5030, FYI: Statistical Literacy in SLA and AL

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Nov 10 18:57:19 UTC 2015

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-5030. Tue Nov 10 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 26.5030, FYI: Statistical Literacy in SLA and AL

Editor for this issue: Ashley Parker <ashley at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 13:57:01
From: Talip Gonulal [gonulalt at msu.edu]
Subject: Statistical Literacy in SLA and AL

 Dear Researcher,

You are invited to participate in a research study designed to measure the statistical knowledge of applied linguistics (AL) and second language acquisition (SLA) researchers in North America. We have developed a statistical literacy assessment survey to investigate the extent of SLA and AL faculty’s ability to:

-  understand basic statistical concepts and procedures,
- interpret and use statistical analyses,
- critically evaluate statistical information and data-related arguments which might be encountered in second language research.

In addition, we are interested in what training SLA and AL faculty have received in quantitative research methods.

If you agree to participate in this study, you will take an online statistical literacy assessment survey. The survey consists of a background questionnaire and 25 multiple-choice questions. The survey takes 20 to 25 minutes to complete. All information will be stored confidentially, and you may discontinue the survey at any time. Your score will be provided at the end of the survey. Your participation is highly appreciated even if you are not particularly quantitatively oriented.

This study is being conducted by a group of Ph.D. students under the supervision of Dr. Shawn Loewen in the Second Language Studies program at Michigan State University. If you have any questions, please contact Talip Gonulal at gonulalt at msu.edu.

By clicking on the following link, you agree to take part in this survey: https://broad.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_1YOXvRJEWBl7top.

We would be grateful if you could forward this email to whoever you think may be interested.
Thank you in advance for your time!
Sincerely,
MSU Second Language Studies Program

                     Language Acquisition