26.5036, Calls: English, Applied Linguistics/UK

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Nov 11 16:42:46 UTC 2015

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-5036. Wed Nov 11 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 26.5036, Calls: English, Applied Linguistics/UK

Editor for this issue: Anna White <awhite at linguistlist.org>

Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 11:42:40
From: Prithvi Shrestha [pnshrestha at gmail.com]
Subject: IATEFL ESP SIG Pre-Conference Event: Tensions and debates in ESP and EAP

Full Title: IATEFL ESP SIG Pre-Conference Event: Tensions and debates in ESP and EAP
Short Title: IATEFL ESP SIG PCE 2016

Date: 12-Apr-2016 - 12-Apr-2016
Location: Birmingham, United Kingdom
Contact Person: Prithvi Shrestha
Meeting Email: espsig at iatefl.org
Web Site: http://espsig.iatefl.org/?page_id=1131

Subject Language(s): English (eng)

Call Deadline: 20-Dec-2015

Meeting Description:

IATEFL Annual conference Birmingham 2016
English for Specific Purposes Special Interest Group (ESP SIG)

Theme: Tensions and debates in ESP and EAP

- What is the role of English as a lingua franca in Higher Education?
- Whose needs are ESP and EAP courses based on? How can we evaluate the effectiveness of an ESP and EAP course or programme?
- How can we collaborate with departments, disciplines, trade unions, career centres and employers?
- Is there a mismatch of expectations of schools, universities versus employers?
- Local and international standards: Who are we assessing for?
- Do policies on selecting students and assessing outcomes in Higher Education work?
The PCE aims to explore these key questions and many more based on the contribution of the presenters and delegates.

We expect that our PCE theme will bring together a diverse range of researchers and practitioners in professional, vocational and academic English to share their views, and practices which are applicable to other EAP and ESP contexts.

Call for Papers:

Format of the PCE:

We intend to have a more interactional mode throughout the day so that the audience is given plenty of time to interact, share their context.
The format is fluid to meet the expectations of the presenters and the delegates.
Hence, this year, we would like to welcome a variety of formats as listed below:

- Papers: 20 minutes followed by a 10 minute discussion,
- Presentation of posters: 15 followed by a 10 minute discussion
- Forum of 3 presenters: 30 minutes presentation followed by a 10 minute discussion
- Debate of 3 presenters: 30 minutes.

We are looking forward to your contributions as presenters and facilitators.
If you would like to contribute to the facilitation of the day or lead the discussions please get in touch with Aysen Guven and Prithvi Shrestha: espsig at iatefl.org

Deadline of paper submission: 20 December 2015