26.5183, Calls: Discourse Analysis, Philosophy of Language/UK

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Nov 19 16:40:55 UTC 2015

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-5183. Thu Nov 19 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 26.5183, Calls: Discourse Analysis, Philosophy of Language/UK

Editor for this issue: Anna White <awhite at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2015 11:40:14
From: Johannes Beetz [j.beetz at warwick.ac.uk]
Subject: Materialist_Discourse_Analysis: Methodological Entanglements

Full Title: Materialist_Discourse_Analysis: Methodological Entanglements

Date: 07-Jul-2016 - 08-Jul-2016
Location: University of Warwick, United Kingdom
Contact Person: Johannes Beetz
Meeting Email: materialistdiscourse at warwick.ac.uk
Web Site: http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/al/research/groups/pad/activities/materialistdiscourseanalysis/

Linguistic Field(s): Discourse Analysis; Philosophy of Language

Call Deadline: 18-Jan-2016

Meeting Description:

In this workshop, we seek to explore how a decidedly materialist approach to discourse can be put into practice. Bringing together contributions from a range of disciplines, we will think through the methodological implications materialism has for Discourse Studies, and vice versa.

>From the beginning, discourse analysis (in the broadest sense of the term, as an approach at the intersections of language, politics, and society) and materialism have been intimately connected. Constituting a relationship of varying intensity and visibility, this entanglement is for example present in Marxist critique of ideology, materialist semiotics, Russian formalism, Critical Theory, Psychoanalysis, or ‘French’ structural Marxism and discourse analysis. This highly diverse field continues to provide different strands of discourse analysis with a complex, in many ways even contradictory notions of materialism, ranging from essentialist/substantialist, over dialectical, to post-representationalist ones. The issue is further complicated by the construction of alleged incompatibilities (for example between ‘materialism’ and ‘post-structuralism’) and a battery of dichotomies (materiality/discourse, discourse/reality, language/materiality, language/reality, etc.), which c
 onstitute a prominent focus of theoretical debates. Especially with the emergence of New Materialism, material semiotics, or material culture studies and a renewed interest in the materiality of discursive, social, and political realities, what exactly ‘materialism’ denotes has become the subject of intense debate in the social sciences and humanities again.

Particularly the methodological consequences to be drawn from a decidedly materialist perspective on discourse remain rather opaque, and are rarely explored systematically. Therefore, the workshop will constitute a space to discuss practical implementations of discourse analysis as a materialist method.

Johannes Beetz, CAL, University of Warwick
Veit Schwab, CAL & PAIS, University of Warwick

Call for Papers:

Contributions could address (but are not limited to) the following aspects:

- What qualifies a discourse analytical method as materialist?
- The methodological and epistemological implications materialisms have for discourse analytical methods
- Analysing the materiality of discourse, and the discourse on materiality
- Materialist approaches to the study of subjectivation and ideology
- Materialist methodologies within praxeological and pragmatic approaches to discourse
- Post-representationalist and -foundationalist methods of discourse analysis
- Trajectories of materialism in discourse-analytical methods and the historical relation between materialism and discourse analysis
- De-colonial and non-western methods of materialist discourse analysis
- Feminist-materialist methodologies and epistemologies
- Discourse-analytical methods that rework prominent Marxist categories, such as class(,) struggle, production, reproduction, accumulation, or crisis

For more information, visit http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/al/research/groups/pad/activities/materialistdiscourseanalysis/

materialistdiscourse at warwick.ac.uk