26.4363, Jobs: Cognitive Science; Computational Linguistics; Psycholinguistics: Post Doc, The Pennsylvania State University

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Oct 5 19:11:00 UTC 2015

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-4363. Mon Oct 05 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 26.4363, Jobs: Cognitive Science; Computational Linguistics; Psycholinguistics: Post Doc, The Pennsylvania State University

Editor for this issue: Andrew Lamont <alamont at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2015 15:10:55
From: David Reitter [reitter at psu.edu]
Subject: Cognitive Science; Computational Linguistics; Psycholinguistics: Post Doc, The Pennsylvania State University, Pennsylvania, USA

University or Organization: The Pennsylvania State University
Department: College of Information Sciences and Technology
Job Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Job Title: Postdoc: computational psycholinguistics/NLP/modeling
Job Rank: Post Doc

Specialty Areas: Cognitive Science; Computational Linguistics; Psycholinguistics

Postdoc position @ Applied Cognitive Science Lab, College of Information Sciences and Technology, Penn State.

We’re beginning new, NSF-funded research in the areas of linguistics and computational social science. Generally, we seek to model cognitive processes using large-scale datasets and experimentation. Our recent core contributions have been in psycholinguistic models of natural-language dialogue and in decision-making. Our work in cognitive science is fueled by advances in computing. In turn, we translate progress in cognitive science to contributions in computer science, recently in cybersecurity and machine learning. We are looking for a postdoc with training in one or more of the following areas:

- Computational psycholinguistics and data-driven modeling,
- Deep connectionist representations, and
- Natural language processing and information retrieval.

While the successful applicant is likely to focus on some areas, strong practical computational skills and a research interest in cognition or linguistics are required. Duties will include contributing to a project that combines crowd-sourcing and natural language processing to curate a dataset for peace research. Beyond that, the post-doc is primarily expected to build a strong research agenda, but may also collaborate in the graduate students’ projects and teach. The initial appointment would be for one year and is renewable. Applicants should have a Ph.D. in a relevant area (or be in the final stages of obtaining one) and a strong record of publications.

The PI’s group currently consists of four Ph.D. students engaged in research on corpus-based cognitive linguistics, decision-making, and cognitively-inspired neural representations. Penn State provides a strong environment for work in the area, with its Center for Language Science, Departments of Psychology and Computer Science, and IST (Penn State’s “iSchool”), which is home to the ACS Lab. IST is collaborative and can provide interaction with researchers in linguistics, psychology, data mining, AI/machine learning, computational social science, security, and more. Penn State is located in central Pennsylvania, within driving distance to Pittsburgh, New York, Washington, D.C., and Baltimore.

Please direct informal inquiries to David Reitter (email below).

Job ad and formal applications available at application website below.

Application Deadline: 31-Mar-2016 (Open until filled)

Web Address for Applications: https://psu.jobs/job/58861
Contact Information:
	Dr. David Reitter
	Email: reitter at psu.edu