26.4379, Calls: Discourse Analysis, General Ling/Spain

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Oct 6 18:16:47 UTC 2015

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-4379. Tue Oct 06 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 26.4379, Calls: Discourse Analysis, General Ling/Spain

Editor for this issue: Ashley Parker <ashley at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2015 14:14:43
From: Jan Zienkowski [dn17 at unav.es]
Subject: 17th DiscourseNet Conference on Reflexivity and Critique in Discourse

 Full Title: 17th DiscourseNet Conference on Reflexivity and Critique in Discourse
Short Title: DN 17

Date: 16-Mar-2016 - 18-Mar-2016
Location: Pamplona, Spain
Contact Person: Jan Zienkowski
Meeting Email: dn17 at unav.es
Web Site: http://dn17.discourseanalysis.net

Linguistic Field(s): Discourse Analysis; General Linguistics

Call Deadline: 31-Oct-2015

Meeting Description:

The 17th DiscourseNet Conference on Critique and Reflexivity in Discourse will be organised at the University of Navarra in Pamplona (UNAV), Spain between March 16 and March 18, 2016.

The 17th DN Conference on Reflexivity and Critique offers a venue for exploring the different ways in which reflexivity and critique can be deployed in order to shape (our understandings of) selves, discourses and societies in meaningful ways. To this end, this conference hopes to bring together researchers interested in (a) the role of reflexivity and critique in the study of discourse and/or in (b) the role of reflexivity and critique play in the social realities we investigate.

Prof. Jan Blommaert, Prof. Johannes Angermuller, Prof. Marianne Winther-Jörgensen and Prof. Ramon Reichert will act as keynote speakers.

Call for Papers:

The use of language and other multimodal and symbolic systems of communication requires some degree of reflexive awareness. This reflexive awareness allows us to criticize our own discourses as well as the discourses of others. Without it, scientific, cultural and political debate could not take place. In some ways, all language users perform critical and less critical modes of discourse analysis on a daily basis. We would not be able to imagine alternative worlds if we were unable to make use of the reflexive potential of our systems of communication.

The human capacity for textual, artistic, literary, social and political (self-) critique would be unimaginable without our capacity to use discourse reflexively. We can use linguistic and non-linguistic symbolic resources in order to bend discourse back onto itself and in order to imagine alternative stories, explanations and futures for the realities we live in.  This is not to say that we exert conscious control over all of the discursive processes that allow for a meaningful experience of reality at all times. Much of these processes remain part of the ideological and/or hegemonic backgrounds of everyday life.

Reflexivity and critique take many forms and perform many functions. It is this multiplicity that we seek to address during this conference.

We welcome both theoretical and empirical contributions. An extensive list of potential topics that could be addressed can be found at: http://dn17.discourseanalysis.net.

Please register and send in your abstracts before October 31, 2015. Acceptance of your paper will be communicated around November 30. We welcome both English and Spanish contributions to this event, but it is very likely that the lingua franca will be English rather than Spanish. Also, the keynote lectures will be presented in English.

Upon acceptance, a fee will have to be payed in order to complete the registration process. The fee will be 75 EUR for people with an institutional affiliation and 50 EUR for people without it.

If you have any questions, you may reach the organization at dn17 at unav.es .

          http://multitree.org/