26.4405, Jobs: Spanish; Bilingualism; General Linguistics; Language Acquisition; Phonetics; Phonology; Sociolinguistics: Assistant Professor, University of California, Los Angeles

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Oct 6 20:59:11 UTC 2015

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-4405. Tue Oct 06 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 26.4405, Jobs: Spanish; Bilingualism; General Linguistics; Language Acquisition; Phonetics; Phonology; Sociolinguistics: Assistant Professor, University of California, Los Angeles

Editor for this issue: Andrew Lamont <alamont at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2015 16:58:55
From: Hector Calderon [hcaldero at g.ucla.edu]
Subject: Spanish; Bilingualism; General Linguistics; Language Acquisition; Phonetics; Phonology; Sociolinguistics: Assistant Professor, University of California, Los Angeles, California, USA

University or Organization: University of California, Los Angeles
Department: Spanish and Portuguese
Job Location: California, USA
Web Address: http://www.spanport.ucla.edu/
Job Title: Tenure-track Assistant Professor of Spanish in Sociolinguistics
Job Rank: Assistant Professor

Specialty Areas: General Linguistics; Language Acquisition; Phonetics; Phonology; Sociolinguistics; Bilingualism

Required Language(s): Spanish (spa)

The Department of Spanish and Portuguese seeks a tenure-track Assistant Professor of Spanish in Sociolinguistics.

In this area we seek a sociolinguist with a focus on Phonetics/ Phonology and another area of linguistics (such as historical linguistics or dialectology).  Research and teaching expertise in bilingualism, language contact and acquisition of heritage languages with an emphasis on Spanish spoken in the United States is a must. Research experience in Mexico, Central America or the Caribbean is a plus.  The successful candidate will combine diverse methodologies in his or her examination of the linguistic, cultural, and social aspects of the Latino experience in the U.S., and be able to teach a range of undergraduate and graduate courses in these and other areas of linguistics (Dialectology, Sociolinguistics, Syntax, History of the language, etc) .

Our expectation is that the successful candidate will contribute to and enhance our Spanish as Heritage Language program and our Spanish, Community and Culture major, which has a significant service-learning component.

Requirements: Ph.D. in Hispanic Linguistics in hand, native or near-native fluency in Spanish, evidence of excellence in teaching and strong research potential on the topics described above. We expect to see candidates whose experience in teaching, research, or community service has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence.  All applicants should make use of UCLA’s job application web site (below) to submit a cover letter, CV, three letters of recommendation, statement of teaching philosophy, writing sample, and copies of teaching evaluations or other evidence of teaching effectiveness.  In the cover letter applicants should discuss their relevant experience in teaching the areas mentioned above.  Please direct queries concerning the position to the Department Chair, Héctor Calderón (email below).  Application deadline: Monday, November 2, 2015.

The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: UC Nondiscrimination & Affirmative Action Policy - http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct

Application Deadline: 02-Nov-2015

Web Address for Applications: https://recruit.apo.ucla.edu/apply/JPF01665
Contact Information:
	Department Chair and Professor Hector Calderon
	Email: hcaldero at g.ucla.edu

          http://multitree.org/