26.4652, Qs: Good pop-scientific documentaries about dialects

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Oct 20 15:16:38 UTC 2015

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-4652. Tue Oct 20 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 26.4652, Qs: Good pop-scientific documentaries about dialects

Editor for this issue: Anna White <awhite at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 11:16:30
From: Susanne Vejdemo [susanne at ling.su.se]

Query:
We want to get our students excited about dialects! We welcome any suggestions for filmed documentaries about dialect variation, language variety competition etc, regarding any language. We'll assemble and share all suggestions sent to us.

Background:
In addition to the mandatory academic lectures on linguistics for our first year students, we have started a series of informal and more pop-scientific documentary movie nights on various linguistic phenomena. As an example, our first themed movie night was about animals and to what extent their communication was similar to that of humans. We all had a great time watching several shorter documentaries, and a lot of interesting discussions arose. When we watch the documentaries together with out students, we can also counter any oversimplification in them, and point out controversial claims. And eat popcorn. We recommend it to all other departments out there.

Best,

Susanne Vejdemo,
Dept of Linguistics
Stockholm University
susanne at ling.su.se

Linguistic Field(s): Anthropological Linguistics
                     Language Documentation
                     Phonetics
                     Sociolinguistics

          http://multitree.org/