26.4742, Calls: General Ling/Puerto Rico

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Oct 26 17:53:13 UTC 2015

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-4742. Mon Oct 26 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 26.4742, Calls: General Ling/Puerto Rico

Editor for this issue: Ashley Parker <ashley at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2015 13:53:01
From: Melissa Angus [mel.a.upr at gmail.com]
Subject: Caribbean Without Borders (Graduate Student Conference)

Full Title: Caribbean Without Borders (Graduate Student Conference)

Date: 06-Apr-2016 - 08-Apr-2016
Location: Rio Piedras, Puerto Rico, Puerto Rico
Contact Person: Maritza Cardona
Meeting Email: caribbeanwithoutborders2016 at gmail.com
Web Site: https://www.facebook.com/caribbeanwithoutborders

Call Deadline: 11-Dec-2015

Meeting Description:

Benitez-Rojo gives us a graphic description of the Caribbean as ''an 'other' shape that keeps changing, with some objects born to light while others disappear into the womb of darkness.” This brings forth the idea that if we do not change and continue to focus on the cultural and linguistic fragmentation that has arisen from our colonized past, we run the risk of remaining static.

It is time to go beyond the effects of colonization and reinterpret our past in order to re-envision our future. Let us embrace the idea of uninhibited unity and form our own futures.

Call for Papers:

Paper proposals are invited for the sixth Caribbean Without Borders Graduate Student Conference sponsored by the English Department of the College of Humanities at the University of Puerto Rico, Río Piedras, to be held April 6-8th, 2016. The conference welcomes graduate student papers/presentations in English, Spanish, French, Portuguese, Creole and any Caribbean language on the literatures, languages and cultures of the Caribbean.

If you are interested in being considered as a presenter, please send a 250-300 word abstract (in English or Spanish), 50-word biography, university affiliation, and email address. Please send submissions or inquiries to the Organizing Committee at caribbeanwithoutborders2016 at gmail.com

Possible topics include, but are not limited to:

- Freedom, slavery
- Creole languages and heteroglossia
- Literacies and education
- Conspiracy, rebellion, marronage, revolution
- Migrations, movements and diaspora
- Gender, desire, and sexuality
- Place and politics
- Violence
- Oral/aural traditions and the role of memory
- Performance arts, cinema
- Religion, religiosity
- Borders, frontiers, margins
- Art, music, dance, cuisine and popular culture
- Language and power/identity
- Caribbean drama, poetry, and fiction
- Children’s and young adult literature
- History, alternative histories
- Carnival
- Minority languages and cultures/countercultures
- Signed languages and Deaf cultures
- Mythology and folklore
- Ecocriticism and kinship

          http://multitree.org/