26.4756, Qs: Tagging aktionsart/lexical aspect in English

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Oct 27 14:59:42 UTC 2015

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-4756. Tue Oct 27 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 26.4756, Qs: Tagging aktionsart/lexical aspect in English

Editor for this issue: Anna White <awhite at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2015 10:59:31
From: Robert Fuchs [robert.fuchs at uni-muenster.de]
Subject: Tagging aktionsart/lexical aspect in English

Are there are any taggers (freely) available that tag verbs for aktionsart/lexical aspect (i.e. accomplishment, achievement, semelfactive, etc.) for English texts?

This would be very useful for the (semi-)automatic analysis and study of time reference forms since some of them, such as the Present Perfect, occur preferably with verbs of a particular aktionsart. It seems that the semantic taggers I looked at don't offer this option.

The only lead I could find online is an MSc thesis by Nicole Barber from 2008 (the abstract says she wrote a tagger, but neither the thesis nor the tagger seem to be publicly available): http://repository.uwa.edu.au/R/-?func=dbin-jump-full&object_id=10707&silo_library=GEN01

Linguistic Field(s): Computational Linguistics
                     Morphology
                     Semantics

Subject Language(s): English (eng)