26.4785, Jobs: Mandarin; Korean; Anthropological Linguistics; Applied Linguistics; Language Acquisition; Sociolinguistics: Asst/Assoc Professor, University of Arizona

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Oct 28 16:20:28 UTC 2015

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-4785. Wed Oct 28 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 26.4785, Jobs: Mandarin; Korean; Anthropological Linguistics; Applied Linguistics; Language Acquisition; Sociolinguistics: Asst/Assoc Professor, University of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Andrew Lamont <alamont at linguistlist.org>

Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2015 12:20:23
From: Clarity White [clarityw at email.arizona.edu]
Subject: Mandarin; Korean; Anthropological Linguistics; Applied Linguistics; Language Acquisition; Sociolinguistics: Asst/Assoc Professor, University of Arizona, Arizona, USA

University or Organization: University of Arizona
Department: East Asian Studies
Job Location: Arizona, USA
Web Address: http://eas.arizona.edu/
Job Title: Assistant/Associate Professor, East Asian Studies
Job Rank: Asst/Assoc Professor

Specialty Areas: Anthropological Linguistics; Applied Linguistics; Language Acquisition; Sociolinguistics

Required Language(s): Chinese, Mandarin (cmn)
                      Korean (kor)

Seeking an Associate / Advanced Assistant Professor in digital intercultural communication in Chinese or Korean languages as part of a cluster hire. Ideal candidate will have an established and active research agenda focusing on telecollaboration, intercultural/cultural (mis)communication, social media/digital culture, digital literacy (or multiliteracies), technology enhanced language learning, digital humanities, or other areas in which digital intercultural communication in Chinese or Korean occurs. Experience developing and writing grants in the candidate’s research areas is desirable.

At the U of A, we value our inclusive climate; we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. We translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with diverse perspectives and experiences, we encourage minorities, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities to apply. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs.

Outstanding benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!

The University of Arizona has been recognized on Forbes 2015 list of America’s Best Employers in the United States and has been awarded the 2015 Work-Life Seal of Distinction by the Alliance for Work-Life Progress!

Duties & Responsibilities:

- Teach courses in second language acquisition, intercultural communication and other areas in the candidate’s specialization in the interdisciplinary Second Language Acquisition and Teaching (SLAT) program and the Department of East Asian Studies, and partnering with colleagues across campus in the Colleges of Humanities, Education and Social and Behavioral Sciences.
- Teach courses at the graduate and undergraduate levels and contribute to mentoring students including those from underrepresented backgrounds.
- Participate in outreach and contribute to departmental, college, and university service.
- Help to develop innovative approaches to enhancing student engagement, increasing diversity, and expanding collaborations with community and business partners.
- Develop and maintain research in area of assignment.

Minimum Qualifications: PhD in Chinese or Korean linguistics or a related field (e.g., technology studies, history of science, anthropology/sociology, communications, or education).

Preferred Qualifications: An established and active research agenda focusing on telecollaboration, intercultural/cultural (mis)communication, social media/digital culture, digital literacy (or multiliteracies), technology enhanced language learning, digital humanities, or other areas in which digital intercultural communication in Chinese or Korean occurs. Experience in developing and writing grants in the candidate’s research areas is highly desirable.

Start Date: 8/15/16
Review Begins: 12/1/15

Documents Needed: Cover Letter, Curriculum Vitae, Statement of Teaching Philosophy, Statement of Research Interests, Sample of Publications, Contact information for three professional references. They will receive an email after you apply asking them to provide a letter.

Application Deadline: 01-Dec-2015 (Open until filled)

Web Address for Applications: https://uacareers.com/postings/6043
Contact Information:
	Human Resources Coordinator Clarity White
	Email: clarityw at email.arizona.edu
	Phone: 520-621-4055