26.4814, Calls: English, Applied Ling, Lang Acq, Neuroling, Psycholing/Poland

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Oct 29 17:53:52 UTC 2015

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-4814. Thu Oct 29 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 26.4814, Calls: English, Applied Ling, Lang Acq, Neuroling,  Psycholing/Poland

Editor for this issue: Ashley Parker <ashley at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2015 13:53:36
From: Dagmara Gałajda [dagmara.galajda at gmail.com]
Subject: 28th International Conference on Foreign / Second Language Acquisition

Full Title: 28th International Conference on Foreign / Second Language Acquisition
Short Title: ICFSLA

Date: 19-May-2016 - 21-May-2016
Location: Szczyrk, Poland
Contact Person: Dagmara Gałajda
Meeting Email: szczyrkconference2016 at gmail.com
Web Site: http://icfsla.us.edu.pl

Linguistic Field(s): Applied Linguistics; Language Acquisition; Neurolinguistics; Psycholinguistics

Subject Language(s): English (eng)

Call Deadline: 31-Jan-2016

Meeting Description:

Following the May tradition established some thirty years ago, we are pleased to invite you to our Szczyrk conference, which is the 28th International Conference on Foreign and Second Language Acquisition (ICSFLA). The main theme of this event will be:

Life-long learning: the age factor in second/foreign language acquisition and learning

Discussion on the role of age in the context of second/foreign language learning has been going on for a long time now, both from a theoretical and an empirical perspective. A major part of age-related research focuses on the natural setting for L2 acquisition (bilingual children) or on the early start in foreign language learning (formal classroom instruction). Much less has been said about the late start, about in the third age of learners (50+). Although we welcome presentations on different age groups in FL learning, we would very much like to focus on older learners, following the idea of life-long education and third age universities as the major agents involved in late adult FL instruction, supported very strongly by European Union initiatives. The answer to the question, Am I too old to learn a new language? is categorically No.

Apart from the leading theme, we would also like to welcome those scholars who are working in the area of multilingualism and multilingual language acquisition (MLA) and who research in this promising fairly new area of study. As it was in the past years, we are planning to have a special section on multilingualism. These presentations can embrace both theoretical and empirical studies of multilingual issues.

If your research interests lie beyond the main theme of the conference, and if you do not work in multilingualism, you can also submit a proposal in other areas of second language acquisition (SLA) and foreign language learning (FLL). The proposals for these presentations will also be reviewed by us and considered for acceptance as presentations at the conference.

Over the past three years we have also been working with Ph.D. students, giving them a chance to share their thesis proposals and research ideas with academic facilitators and other PhD students. We plan to hold a continuation of our Ph.D. workshop,as the response to it has been overwhelmingly positive. The event will be facilitated by scholars experienced in the supervision of doctoral projects in second language acquisition. The workshop is open to all Ph.D. students in SLA/MLA, but also those in TEFL/TESOL

We are pleased to announce that the following well-known scholars working in the field of second language acquisition have kindly agreed to present plenary talks at our conference:

- Prof. David Green , University of London

- Prof. Carmen Munoz, University of Barcelona

- Prof. Rebecca Oxford, University of Maryland

- Prof. Simone Pfenninger, University of Zurich

- Prof. David Singleton, Pannonia University/Trinity College

The conference will be held in our usual place, the holiday resort ofSzczyrk in the Beskidy Mountains, southern Poland. The dates are 19 to 21 May 2016 (arrival on Wednesday the 18 May is recommended). The conference venue will again be the Hotel META. All conference participants will be accommodated there.

Call for Papers:

Submission Guidelines:

All those wishing to contribute papers or just to attend presentations and the Ph.D. workshop(s) are welcome to participate in the conference. Presentation abstracts of up to 200 words should be submitted by the 31 January 2016 to our e-mail address:szczyrkconference2016 at gmail.com.

Prospective participants of the Ph.D. workshop are asked to send a 500-word description of their Ph.D. thesis proposal for a 15-minute presentation (together with questions they might want to raise about their work), which would then be followed by a feedback discussion with the facilitators and other workshop participants.

Notification of acceptance will be sent out by the 20 of February 2016.

The registration form, including the presentation abstract, should be sent as an attachment to the above e-mail address. Additionally, to facilitate the procedure of building the conference database, all participants are kindly asked to type their entry details into an Excel document (baza2015.xls), filling in all the columns in the second row below the blue headings, and send it back as a separate attachment, changing its name to SurnameName.xls (in Excel 2003 format).

Both the documents necessary for registration can be downloaded from our webpage at www.icfsla.us.edu.pl