26.3933, Confs: Lang Acquisition, Morphology, Psycholing, Semantics, Socioling, Syntax/Norway

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Sep 4 19:33:53 UTC 2015

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-3933. Fri Sep 04 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 26.3933, Confs: Lang Acquisition, Morphology, Psycholing, Semantics, Socioling, Syntax/Norway

Editor for this issue: Anna White <awhite at linguistlist.org>

Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2015 15:33:22
From: Terje Lohndal [terje.lohndal at ntnu.no]
Subject: Linguistic Complexity in the Individual and Society

Linguistic Complexity in the Individual and Society
Short Title: LCIS

Date: 15-Oct-2015 - 16-Oct-2015
Location: Trondheim, Norway
Contact: Terje Lohndal
Contact Email: terje.lohndal at ntnu.no
Meeting URL: http://www.ntnu.edu/lcis

Linguistic Field(s): Language Acquisition; Morphology; Psycholinguistics; Semantics; Sociolinguistics; Syntax

Meeting Description:

This conference is associated with the project Linguistic Complexity in the Individual and Society (LCIS; http://www.ntnu.edu/lcis) at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) in Trondheim. The goal of LCIS is to study linguistic complexity in three different areas: formal grammar, language acquisition, and sociolinguistics. The groundbreaking part of this project is that it will attempt to combine these different sub-disciplines of modern linguistics. Different methodologies and theoretical perspectives will be useful in order to illuminate complementary aspects of language complexity and thus contribute to deepening our understanding of this phenomenon. A unifying aspect of the research is the use of multilingual data. These data have become increasingly important for linguistic methodologies and theories, but also for public policy makers in the sense that they address consequences of migration and children growing up acquiring parts of multiple languages.

The present two-day conference on October 15-16, 2015 will feature talks addressing linguistic complexity within the three areas mentioned above: formal grammar, language acquisition, and sociolinguistics. The following speakers have kindly agreed to provide plenary addresses:

Artemis Alexiadou (University of Stuttgart)
Frans Gregersen (Copenhagen University, Lanchart)
Liliane Haegeman (Ghent University)
Marie Maegaard & Janus Spindler Møller (Copenhagen University, Lanchart)
Ianthi Tsimpli (University of Reading/Aristotle University of Thessaloniki)

Registration:

Participants should register here: https://www.ntnu.edu/web/lcis/registration by October 1.

Program:

The conference will take place at Campus Dragvoll at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology in Trondheim, Norway.

Thursday October 15

09:00-12:00 DI42 (Idrettsbygningen)

09:00-09:15
Welcome by Dean Anne Kristine Børresen

09:15-10:15
Ianthi Maria Tsimpli (invited)
Faces of linguistic complexity in connected speech: Evidence from bilingualism and language impairment

10:15-10:30 Coffee break

10:30-11:00
Jeannique Darby
Coercion, Complexity, and the Exploration of Aspect in Object-Experiencer Psych Verbs

11:00-11:30
Øystein A. Vangsnes & Göran Söderlund
Bidialectal literacy and cognitive control

11:30-12:00
Kleanthes K. Grohmann & Maria Kambanaros
>From Comparative Bilingualism to Comparative Biolinguistics

12:00-13:30 Lunch

13:30-17:15 DI41 (Idrettsbygningen)

13:30-14:30
Liliane Haegeman (invited)
The syntactic complexity of yes and no in West Flemish

14:30-15:00
Unn Røyneland & Elizabeth Lanza
The dark sides of linguistic complexity

15:00-15:30
Merete Anderssen & Marit Westergaard
The Effects of complexity and CLI in HL: Subject Shift and Object Shift in Norwegian

15:30-15:45 Coffee break

15:45-1615
Mari Nygård, Brita Ramsevik Riksem, and Tor A. Åfarli
What language mixing can tell us about the syntax of gender

16:15-17:15
Marie Maegaard & Janus Spindler Møller (invited)
>From multilingualism to languaging: Discussing the role of ''languages'' in 17 years of sociolinguistic development among Danes with a Turkish background

19:00-23:00
Conference dinner

Friday October 16
09:00-12:15 D8

09:00-10:00
Artemis Alexiadou (invited)
The category number: a case study in linguistic complexity

10:00-10:30
Isabelle Roy, Bridget Copley & McCune
A measure of syntactic complexity in early child productions: maximal syntactic depth

10:30-10:45 Coffee break

10:45-11:30
Theresa Biberauer & Ian Roberts
Emergent parameters and syntactic complexity: new perspectives

11:30-12:00
Inna Tolskaya
Syntax and semantics of the prefix-scale interplay

12:00-12:30
Katerina Zombolou & Artemis Alexiadou
The parallel development of Reflexives: A case study of an early bilingual German-Greek child

12:30-14:00 Lunch

13:30-16:00 D14

14:00-14:30
Nino Grillo, Artemis Alexiadou, Caterina Paolazzi & Andrea Santi
No evidence of higher complexity or agent-first strategy in German Passives

14:30-15:30
Frans Gregersen (invited)
Complexity – from the language user's point of view

15:30-15:45
Closure