26.3942, Calls: Cog Science, Ling & Literature, Philosophy of Lang, Psycholing, Socioling/USA

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Sun Sep 6 07:23:38 UTC 2015

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-3942. Sun Sep 06 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 26.3942, Calls: Cog Science, Ling & Literature, Philosophy of Lang, Psycholing, Socioling/USA

Editor for this issue: Erin Arnold <earnold at linguistlist.org>

Date: Sun, 06 Sep 2015 03:23:23
From: Melanie Jones [ucla.complit.conf at gmail.com]
Subject: Mad Love: UCLA Graduate Student Conference

Full Title: Mad Love: UCLA Graduate Student Conference
Short Title: Mad Love

Date: 19-Feb-2016 - 20-Feb-2016
Location: Los Angeles, USA
Contact Person: Melanie Jones
Meeting Email: ucla.complit.conf at gmail.com
Web Site: http://uclacomplitconf.com/

Linguistic Field(s): Cognitive Science; Ling & Literature; Philosophy of Language; Psycholinguistics; Sociolinguistics

Call Deadline: 12-Oct-2015

Meeting Description:

>From lovesickness in the Middle Ages, to nymphomania and hysteria in the Enlightenment, to the stalker in American horror films, the boundary between love and madness is often blurred.

In keeping with recent critical attention to the history of the passions and the body, we are interested in the aesthetic representation – literary, visual, and oral – of love madness. How are these extreme states represented in literature and art? Where is the line drawn between passionate love and mad love? How has the representation of love and/or/as madness changed over time, and what effect has this had on real-world treatment of the mentally ill? How is space left for mad love as a positive or subversive force, if at all?

Call for Papers:

This year’s UCLA Comparative Literature Graduate Conference will explore the many manifestations of mad love in literature and cultural history. We invite graduate students to present papers on related issues. Topics on the intersections between social conceptions and artistic depictions of love and madness might include, but are not restricted to:

- Love as a disease
- Love, madness, and psychoanalysis
- Bodies performing desire
- Love, madness, and identity
- Gendering desire and/or madness
- Love, madness, and violence
- Monstrous love
- Creative production/inspiration and love/madness
- The role of the sensory in love and madness
- Mental Health and Human Rights

We are open to papers in all disciplines and treating material from all time periods. In addition to conventional panel presentations, we will offer performances and viewings/screenings of creative work; interactive workshops on topics such as translation; and discussion sections on pre-circulated materials (primary and/or secondary).

Please submit your 250-300 word proposal/abstract and a CV to ucla.complit.conf at gmail.com by Monday, September 21st. Kindly mention “Submission: CLGraduate Conference” in the subject of the e-mail. All submissions should include the title of the paper, the abstract, and the name, affiliation, and contact information of the author. Please specify whether you are interested in (a) presenting on a panel of 20 minute papers or (b) presenting/performing a creative work. For any additional queries, please contact ucla.complit.conf at gmail.com.