26.3950, FYI: Call for Collaborators: Multi-Site Replication

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Sep 7 18:15:29 UTC 2015

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-3950. Mon Sep 07 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 26.3950, FYI: Call for Collaborators: Multi-Site Replication

Editor for this issue: Ashley Parker <ashley at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2015 14:15:14
From: Emma Marsden [emma.marsden at york.ac.uk]

We are inviting international collaborators to participate in a multi-site replication. The procedures and materials are registered with the Open Science Framework.

Please see https://osf.io/tvuer/ for more details and to participate.

Why?

- There is a paucity of high quality replication in the field of second language learning research. Very large scale replication initiatives are happening in psychology, using open access platforms to make the research process more transparent. The current project adopts similar procedures to assess its feasibility in our field.

- These replications will improve our understanding of whether consciously attending to the form of language (morphosyntax or the lexicon) interferes with comprehension - a critical issue for both pedagogy and theory - and we test whether the modality of the input affects the findings. We hope that collaborators will join the team to investigate the role of the first language by using participants with an L1 other than English.

What?

We are investigating the effects of attending to form whilst hearing or reading. The studies will replicate and extend the line of research inspired by VanPatten (1990), including Greenslade, Bouden, and Sanz (1999), Leow, Hsieh, and Moreno (2008), Morgan-Short, Heil, Botero-Moriarty, and Ebert (2012), and Wong (2001). There are two versions of the study: one in the oral modality (listening) and one in the written (reading). About 70 low-mid intermediate learners of Spanish are required for each version. All materials and procedures have been finalized and are ready to distribute to collaborators via the Open Science Framework: https://osf.io/tvuer/. Each version takes about 40 minutes to administer: a passage to comprehend, some comprehension questions, and a proficiency test. Sites may choose to administer one or both versions of the study.

Who?

The project is being jointly led by Emma Marsden (University of York) and Kara Morgan-Short (University of Illinois at Chicago). It is funded by a Language Learning small grant. Other project partners include Professor Ron Leow (Georgetown University) and Professor Roumyana Slabakova (University of Southampton, UK). Collaborations are welcome from any bona fide researcher who has access to the required number of participants, hardware and appropriate software (the specific software used is negotiable). Collaborators must agree to use registered materials and procedures, as posted to the Open Science Framework https://osf.io/tvuer/. In particular, we encourage involvement from those with access to participants who do not have English as their first language, e.g., a language that is not inflectionally rich.

When?

Preferably data will be collected in the Fall Term, by end December 2015. However, all data collection should be complete by the end April 2016.

Contact

Please see https://osf.io/tvuer/ for more details and to participate.

For queries, please email the PIs: emma.marsden at york.ac.uk and karams at uic.edu