26.4044, Qs: Survey: Requests and Apologies - Native Speakers

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Sep 14 16:31:17 UTC 2015

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-4044. Mon Sep 14 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 26.4044, Qs: Survey: Requests and Apologies - Native Speakers

Editor for this issue: Anna White <awhite at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2015 12:30:56
From: Michelle Dimmer [michelledimmer at googlemail.com]

Dear all,

I'm an MA-Student of Linguistics and I'm currently working on a term paper that deals with requests and apologies in English. I would like to ask native speakers of English to answer the following questionnaire. The questionnaire contains short but incomplete dialogues, which are supposed to be completed by you. It takes about 5-10 minutes.

Thanks in advance for your support.
Michelle (Student from German)

Questionnaire:

Age:
Sex (m/f):
Mother tongue:
Task: Please complete the short dialogues by filling in the gaps. Choose the words/phrases/sentences that seem to be most appropriate to you.

Part I
1. Professor and student - at the professor’s office
A student wants to see the professor outside his office hours but the professor does not have any time.
Student: Excuse me, could I ask you something about the paper we have to hand in next week?
Professor: Unfortunately, I’m very busy at the moment.
Student: Ok, I’m going to send the mail within the next hour.
2. Student and roommate - at the student’s apartment
Hanna has done the grocery shopping for the last two weeks. When she returns home from university, she wants to make herself a sandwich.
Hanna: Our fridge is empty again and I’m almost starving.___________________________________________________
Christina: I’ll do it right away.
3. Student and fellow student - at the university
A group of students has to give a presentation. John has already worked a lot for this presentation, whereas Mary didn’t have the time to do so.
John: I’ve already printed the handouts and organized the interactive workshop. But our presentation is still incomplete, a conclusion is missing.____________________________________________________
Mary: Ok, I’m going to take care of it.

Part II
1. Student and friend - at a barbecue
A group of students is having a barbecue. Everyone is supposed to bring something to eat or drink.
Mary: I brought a very delicious taco salad. It’s my mum’s recipe.
Mary: Don’t mind. Next time you invite us for a drink.
2. Student and professor - in the classroom
The students are required to send their presentation to the professor one week before the presentation date. Julie forgot to do so.
Professor: Very interesting slides that I see for the first time.
Professor: Ok, but for the future please keep in mind to send the presentation in advance.

Linguistic Field(s): Pragmatics

Subject Language(s): English (eng)