26.4204, Calls: Applied Ling, General Ling, Lang Acquisition, Ling & Lit/Germany

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Sep 24 17:59:08 UTC 2015

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-4204. Thu Sep 24 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 26.4204, Calls: Applied Ling, General Ling, Lang Acquisition, Ling & Lit/Germany

Editor for this issue: Anna White <awhite at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2015 13:58:54
From: Simone Lechner [simone.m.lechner at gmx.de]
Subject: 2nd Workshop for PhD Students of English

Full Title: 2nd Workshop for PhD Students of English

Date: 27-Nov-2015 - 28-Nov-2015
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Contact Person: Paul Hamann
Meeting Email: Paul.Hamann at uni-hamburg.de

Linguistic Field(s): Applied Linguistics; General Linguistics; Language Acquisition; Ling & Literature

Call Deadline: 31-Oct-2015

Meeting Description:

Second Workshop for PhD students of English: Linguistics, Applied Linguistics & Literature

This workshop is primarily intended as a platform for PhD students of English and American Literature and Linguistics affiliated with any of the Northern German universities. It is however also open to all other early stage PhD students of English interested in exchanging ideas in an interdisciplinary and productive environment.

Call for Papers:

Second Workshop for PhD Students of English: Linguistics, Applied Linguistics (Englische Fachdidaktik) & Literature

This workshop will provide a forum for the presentation and discussion of dissertational projects from the disciplines of English Linguistics, Applied Linguistics (Englische Fachdidaktik), English Literature and English Media Studies. The workshop will consist of several panels in which speakers will have the opportunity to present their individual projects, engage in a dialogue with fellow participants and receive feedback in a relaxed atmosphere. Following in the footsteps of our colleagues from Flensburg, we, two PhD students from the Department of English and American Studies at the University of Hamburg, primarily address PhD students from Northern German universities in order to forge closer inter-institutional ties in the region. Complementing the workshop, the programme will include a visit to the Christmas Market in central Hamburg.

The primary objective of this event, besides promoting co-operation and possible collaboration between the universities of Northern Germany and around the world, is to provide us PhD students of English with an opportunity to present our projects and to benefit from the perspectives of our peers from across disciplines and institutions. We particularly encourage the presentation of work-in-progress to engage us in a conversation about the topics and methodologies of our individual projects. This way, in a critical but sympathetic environment in which it is respected that the ideas presented here are new and as yet unpublished, we hope to foster constructive feedback and new impulses for our continued research.

The workshop will take place from 27-28 November 2015 at the Department of English and American Studies at the University of Hamburg – Von-Melle-Park 6, 20146 Hamburg.

If you are interested in the workshop, please contact us via email, preferably by September 30, so that we can relay further information about the event directly to you (paul.hamann at uni-hamburg.de or simone.lechner at uni-hamburg.de). Then, in order to fully participate in the workshop, please send us an email by September 30, stating your name, affiliation, discipline and the (current working-) title of your doctoral thesis. If you wish to present and discuss your research, please attach an abstract to your email. The abstract should summarize the research you are currently undertaking (300-400 words). Each presenter will be allotted a 30-minute slot. Depending on the phase in which you currently find yourself, you may feel free to vary the amount of time you wish to dedicate to the presentation of your topic and to the questions and discussion time; however, the presentation should not exceed 20 minutes.

A website providing additional information on the workshop, such as regarding accommodation and how best to arrive at the venue, is also underway and will be made available by October 15. For more immediate questions please contact us via email.

We look forward to meeting you in November!

Best wishes,
Paul Hamann (British Literature) & Simone Lechner (Linguistics)

          http://multitree.org/