27.1702, Calls: Semantics/Japan

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Apr 12 18:12:51 UTC 2016

LINGUIST List: Vol-27-1702. Tue Apr 12 2016. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 27.1702, Calls: Semantics/Japan

Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org (Anthony Aristar, Helen Aristar-Dry, Robert Coté, Sara Couture)

                       Fund Drive 2016
                   25 years of LINGUIST List!

Editor for this issue: Ashley Parker <ashley at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2016 14:12:46
From: Christopher Tancredi [cdtancredi at gmail.com]
Subject: Theoretical Linguistics at Keio

Full Title: Theoretical Linguistics at Keio
Short Title: TaLK

Date: 08-Aug-2016 - 09-Aug-2016
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Contact Person: Christopher Tancredi
Meeting Email: talk2016 at googlegroups.com
Web Site: https://sites.google.com/site/talk2016semantics/

Linguistic Field(s): Semantics

Call Deadline: 22-Apr-2016

Meeting Description:

Theoretical Linguistics at Keio is an annual event focused on various aspects
of theoretical linguistics hosted by the Institute of Cultural and Linguistic
Studies, Keio University.  Each year, the event focuses on one particular
subdiscipline of theoretical linguistics:  semantics (2013), syntax (2014) and
phonology/phonetics (2015). In 2016, it will once again be devoted to formal
semantics.

Invited Speakers:

- Manfred Krifka, ZAS
- Junko Shimoyama, McGill
- Uli Sauerland, ZAS

Conference Organizer:  Chris Tancredi

Connected with TaLK, we hope to open an 8 day summer school in semantics and
pragmatics aimed at beginning gra10th HiSoN summer school in historical
sociolinguisticsduate students.  The summer school plans are dependent on an
application for funding.  If funded, the scholars invited to teach at the
summer school will also be invited to give a talk at TaLK.  The funding
decision is expected in April.

2nd Call for Papers:

Theoretical Linguistics at Keio, extension of abstract deadline.

The deadline for submission of abstracts to TaLK 2016 and the accompanying
session on The Semantics of Prosody has been extended to April 22, 2016.

We are soliciting abstracts for 35 minute talks (plus 10 minutes for
questions) on topics related to formal semantics.  For the main session, any
topic related to formal semantics is acceptable.  We are also soliciting
papers for a special session on the semantics of prosody.  Acceptable areas of
research for the special session include but are not limited to:

- focus
- topic
- givenness
- associative particles
- prosody-sensitive adverbs
- the thetic-categorical distinction

Abstracts should be a maximum of 2 pages including examples and references,
and should be submitted to: talk2016 at googlegroups.com

Abstracts will be reviewed by the invited speakers as well as by: Ikumi Imani,
Makoto Kanazawa, Kiyomi Kusumoto, Eric McCready, David Oshima, Uli Sauerland,
Junri Shimada, Yasutada Sudo, Chris Tancredi, and Wataru Uegaki

The conference web page can be found at:
https://sites.google.com/site/talk2016semantics/

                       Fund Drive 2016

This year the LINGUIST List hopes to raise $79,000. This money
will go to help keep the List running by supporting all of our
Student Editors for the coming year.

Don't forget to check out Fund Drive 2016 site!

http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/

For all information on donating, including information on how to
donate by check, money order, PayPal or wire transfer, please visit:

The LINGUIST List is under the umbrella of Indiana University and
as such can receive donations through the eLinguistics Foundation,
which is a registered 501(c) Non Profit organization. Our Federal
Tax number is 45-4211155. These donations can be offset against
your federal and sometimes your state tax return (U.S. tax payers only).
For more information visit the IRS Web-Site, or contact your financial
advisor.

Many companies also offer a gift matching program, such that
they will match any gift you make to a non-profit organization.
Normally this entails your contacting your human resources department
and sending us a form that the eLinguistics Foundation fills in and
returns to your employer. This is generally a simple administrative
procedure that doubles the value of your gift to LINGUIST, without
costing you an extra penny. Please take a moment to check if
your company operates such a program.