27.3155, Confs: Anthro Ling, Disc Analysis, Pragmatics, Semantics/UK

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Aug 2 18:11:28 UTC 2016

LINGUIST List: Vol-27-3155. Tue Aug 02 2016. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 27.3155, Confs: Anthro Ling, Disc Analysis, Pragmatics, Semantics/UK

Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org (Anthony Aristar, Helen Aristar-Dry,
                                   Robert Coté, Michael Czerniakowski)

                       Fund Drive 2016
                   25 years of LINGUIST List!

Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2016 14:11:12
From: Eeva Sippola [sippola at uni-bremen.de]
Subject: The Pragmatics of Place: (Post)colonial Perspectives

The Pragmatics of Place: (Post)colonial Perspectives

Date: 16-Jul-2017 - 21-Jul-2017
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Contact: Carsten Levisen
Contact Email: calev at ruc.dk

Linguistic Field(s): Anthropological Linguistics; Discourse Analysis; Pragmatics; Semantics

Meeting Description:

Carsten Levisen (Roskilde) & Eeva Sippola (Bremen)

In this panel, we explore the diversity of ways in which “place” is construed
and enacted in colonial and postcolonial discourse. Universalist pragmatics
has had little to say about place, let alone the pragmatics of place across
cultures and historical epochs. Within newer post-universalist approaches to
pragmatics, we can begin to study the historicity and variability of “place
discourses” constituted by words, metaphors, grammars, narratives, memories,
cosmologies, and linguistic worldviews. The aim of this panel is to shed light
on the cultural models and knowledges that are at play in discourse and
inscribed in people and produced by them through socialization and recurrent
discursive enactments.

We encourage contributions from a broad range of diversity-oriented approaches
to pragmatics, such as Postcolonial Pragmatics (Anchimbe & Janney 2011;
Schubert & Volkmann in press), Ethnopragmatics (Goddard 2006), Discourse
Analysis (Carbough 2007, Warnke & Busse 2014), Historical Pragmatics
(Taavitsainen & Jucker 2015), Ritual Communication (Basso & Senft 2009), and
similar approaches and fields. Contributions may address (but are not
restricted to) the following topics:

- Cultural scripts for thinking and talking about place
- Keywords of place enacted in cultural discourse
- Place-based grammatical features enacted in discourse
- Songs, rituals, and other discursive practices or genres associated with
place
- Political discourses of place (e.g., in land rights movements)
- Place name research and onomastic pragmatics

We give priority to empirically and emically grounded contributions that can
help explore speech practices across cultures and epochs. The panel
understands pragmatics in broad terms as the study of meaning-making in
cultural, historical, and situational contexts. We seek papers that can help
explore place-specific knowledges, conceptualizations of place, or codes
associated with people in specific places. A place, in this context, can be
highly localized (busses, beaches), ethnogeographical (cities, nations),
virtual (internet forums), or symbolic/mythical (terra australis, paradise).
Our focus on (post)colonial means that we are interested in papers that can
shed new light on (1) conceptions of place as associated with colonial-era
discourse and contemporary postcolonial discourse across the globe, and/or (2)
papers that can help deconstruct the Anglocentrism (and Eurocentrism) of
universalist pragmatics through comparative studies.