27.3348, Calls: Germanic, Gen Ling, Typology/Germany

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Aug 22 19:07:50 UTC 2016

LINGUIST List: Vol-27-3348. Mon Aug 22 2016. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 27.3348, Calls: Germanic, Gen Ling, Typology/Germany

Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org (Anthony Aristar, Helen Aristar-Dry,
                                   Robert Coté, Michael Czerniakowski)

                       Fund Drive 2016
                   25 years of LINGUIST List!

Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2016 15:07:20
From: Gunther De Vogelaer [devogelaer at uni-muenster.de]
Subject: A Germanic Sandwich 2017

Full Title: A Germanic Sandwich 2017

Date: 17-Mar-2017 - 18-Mar-2017
Location: Münster, Germany
Contact Person: Gunther De Vogelaer
Meeting Email: devogelaer at uni-muenster.de

Linguistic Field(s): General Linguistics; Typology

Language Family(ies): Germanic

Call Deadline: 01-Sep-2016

Meeting Description:

In his 1956 book, the renowned Dutch linguist C.B. van Haeringen showed that
Dutch not only holds the middle ground between German and English with respect
to the area where it is spoken, but is also 'in between' these languages in a
highly systematic way when it comes to its linguistic structure. Whereas Van
Haeringen's explanation for this 'Germanic Sandwich' pattern focused on the
historical drift in Dutch towards more analytical structures, later
comparative investigations have not only included many more linguistic
phenomena in the analysis, but also highlighted structural and typological
aspects, and explored psycholinguistic and sociolinguistic explanations.

Since 2005, in which the appearance of van Haeringen's book was commemorated
in Berlin, a conference series is devoted to the comparative study of Dutch,
German and English. Subsequent editions of the “Germanic Sandwich” conference
were held in Sheffield (2008), Oldenburg (2010), Leuven (2013), and Nottingham
(2015). The next edition will be organized on 17-18 March, 2017 at the
University of Münster (Germany).

Prof. Damaris Nübling (Mainz) has agreed to deliver a keynote address.

Scientific committee:

Matthias Hüning (FU Berlin), Ann Marynissen (Universität zu Köln), Esther
Ruigendijk (Carl von Ossietzky Universität Oldenburg), Alan Scott (University
of Nottingham), Hans Smessaert (KU Leuven), Freek Van de Velde (KU Leuven),
Roel Vismans (University of Sheffield), Gunther De Vogelaer (Westfälische
Wilhelms-Universität Münster), Ulrike Vogl (Universität Wien), Fred Weerman
(Universiteit van Amsterdam), Ton van der Wouden (Meertens Instituut,
Amsterdam)

2nd Call for Papers:

We are inviting abstracts for presentations comparing any aspect of Dutch to
German, English, and/or other Germanic languages. We welcome studies with a
typological and/or comparative perspective, dealing with questions about
structural aspects of the languages, their history or their status. Studies
from a language acquisition or psycholinguistic perspective are also welcome.
Since we are aiming at participation of both experienced and young scholars,
we especially encourage young researchers to submit their abstracts. If the
number of high-quality submissions exceeds the available time slots, we will
consider organizing a poster session.

Abstract Submission:

Presentations are 20 minutes (+ 10 min. discussion). Conference languages are
Dutch, English and German. Abstracts should not exceed 500 words and should be
submitted via LinguistList's EasyAbs:
http://linguistlist.org/easyabs/germsand2017.

Important Dates:

Deadline for abstract submission: 1 September, 2016
Notification of acceptance: 1 November, 2016
Conference: 17-18 March, 2017

                       Fund Drive 2016

          http://multitree.org/