=?utf-8?Q?27.3417, _Books:_Watching_TV_with_a_Linguist:_F=C3=A4gersten?=

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Aug 29 16:48:42 UTC 2016

LINGUIST List: Vol-27-3417. Mon Aug 29 2016. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 27.3417, Books: Watching TV with a Linguist: Fägersten

Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org (Anthony Aristar, Helen Aristar-Dry,
                                   Robert Coté, Michael Czerniakowski)

                       Fund Drive 2016
                   25 years of LINGUIST List!

Editor for this issue: Michael Czerniakowski <mike at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2016 12:48:23
From: Mona Hamlin [mhamlin at syr.edu]
Subject: Watching TV with a Linguist: Fägersten

Title: Watching TV with a Linguist
Series Title: Television and Popular Culture

Publication Year: 2016
Publisher: Syracuse University Press
	   www.syracuseuniversitypress.syr.edu

Book URL: http://www.syracuseuniversitypress.syr.edu/fall-2016/watching-tv-with-linguist.html

Editor: Kristy Beers Fägersten

Electronic: ISBN:  9780815653950 Pages:  Price: ----
Hardback: ISBN:  9780815634935 Pages: 352 Price: U.S. $ 65.00
Paperback: ISBN:  9780815610816 Pages: 352 Price: U.S. $ 34.95

Abstract:

Watching TV with a Linguist is an introduction to the study of English
linguistics based on English-language television shows. Each chapter
approaches linguistics as science in action, with comprehensive presentations
of linguistic sub-fields, including clear explanations of relevant linguistic
terminology, concepts, theory, and method, each of which is illustrated with
examples from contextualized dialogues from one or more episodes of a specific
drama or comedy series. Through analysis of dialogue from programs such as
Seinfeld, The Simpsons, Sherlock, and The Wire, contributors deftly illustrate
concepts including morphemes, language acquisition, and syntax. The authors
also encourage readers to recognize additional examples on their own. To this
end, each chapter provides suggestions for other television series or episodes
where further examples of the concepts in focus can be found.

Watching TV as a linguist means being acutely aware of just how much language
permeates the television landscape. Although we "watch" television, we also
simultaneously listen, constantly evaluating and reconciling what we see with
what we hear. A linguist-viewer cannot help but identify the myriad of
examples of linguistic principles and phenomena that are constantly
incorporated in television dialogue, often due to explicit construction and
targeted manipulation of language for dramatic and comedic effect. Watching TV
as a linguist is thus an intensely active practice, in which the authors of
this volume enthusiastically take part and which, with a bit of guidance, any
viewer can learn as well.

                     Language Acquisition
                     Pragmatics
                     Sociolinguistics

Written In: English  (eng)

See this book announcement on our website:
http://linguistlist.org/pubs/books/get-book.cfm?BookID=105973

PUBLISHING PARTNER

    Cambridge University Press
        http://us.cambridge.org

MAJOR SUPPORTING PUBLISHERS

    Akademie Verlag GmbH
        http://www.oldenbourg-verlag.de/akademie-verlag

    Bloomsbury Linguistics (formerly Continuum Linguistics)
        http://www.bloomsbury.com

    Brill
        http://www.brill.nl

    Cambridge Scholars Publishing
        http://www.c-s-p.org

    Cascadilla Press
        http://www.cascadilla.com/

    Classiques Garnier
        http://www.classiques-garnier.com/

    De Gruyter Mouton
        http://www.degruyter.com/

    Edinburgh University Press
        http://www.euppublishing.com

    Elsevier Ltd
        http://www.elsevier.com/

    Equinox Publishing Ltd
        http://www.equinoxpub.com/

    European Language Resources Association (ELRA)
        http://www.elra.info/

    Georgetown University Press
        http://www.press.georgetown.edu/

    John Benjamins
        http://www.benjamins.com/

    Lincom GmbH
        http://www.lincom-shop.eu/

    MIT Press
        http://mitpress.mit.edu/

    Multilingual Matters
        http://www.multilingual-matters.com/

    Narr Francke Attempto Verlag GmbH + Co. KG
        http://www.narr.de/

    Oxford University Press
        oup.com/us

    Palgrave Macmillan
        http://www.palgrave.com/

    Peter Lang AG
        http://www.peterlang.com/

    Rodopi
        http://www.rodopi.nl/

    Routledge (Taylor and Francis)
        http://www.routledge.com/

    Springer
        http://www.springer.com/

    University of Toronto Press
        http://www.utpjournals.com/

    Wiley-Blackwell
        http://www.wiley.com/

OTHER SUPPORTING PUBLISHERS

    Association of Editors of the Journal of Portuguese Linguistics
        http://www.fl.ul.pt/revistas/JPL/JPLweb.htm

    International Pragmatics Assoc.
        http://ipra.ua.ac.be/

    Linguistic Association of Finland
        http://www.ling.helsinki.fi/sky/

    Morgan & Claypool Publishers
        http://www.morganclaypool.com/

    Netherlands Graduate School of Linguistics / Landelijke (LOT)
        http://www.lotpublications.nl/

    Seoul National University
        http://j-cs.org/index/index.php

    SIL International Publications