27.4914, Calls: Phonetics, Phonology/Germany

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Dec 1 17:19:01 UTC 2016

LINGUIST List: Vol-27-4914. Thu Dec 01 2016. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 27.4914, Calls: Phonetics, Phonology/Germany

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

                       Fund Drive 2016
                   25 years of LINGUIST List!

Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2016 12:18:55
From: Timo Roettger [timo.roettger at uni-koeln.de]
Subject: Statistical Methods in Phonetic Sciences

Full Title: Statistical Methods in Phonetic Sciences

Date: 11-Jun-2017 - 11-Jun-2017
Location: Cologne, Germany
Contact Person: Timo Roettger
Meeting Email: timo.roettger at uni-koeln.de
Web Site: http://pape2017.uni-koeln.de/satellite-workshops/

Linguistic Field(s): Phonetics; Phonology

Call Deadline: 31-Jan-2017

Meeting Description:

Phonetics as a field has its own set of analysis methods and methodological
assumptions that have grown in response to the demands of speech as a data
source. As new statistical methods and experimental design ideas come in from
other fields (data science, psycholinguistics, cognitive science), it is
important to have an open discourse about the methodological basis of
phonetics as a field. What insights from other fields can help improve
methodological practice? In what way is phonetics unique and requires its own
set of methods? In what ways can the practice of data analysis in phonetics be
improved? In what way does statistics education in phonetics need to be
altered to keep up with new developments in the field?

Call for Papers:

We invite contributions that deal with statistics in phonetics, broadly
construed. We particularly welcome contributions that critically discuss
existing methodological practices and discuss ways in which data analysis and
experiment design in phonetics can be improved. Broad topics may include, but
are not limited to, the use and misuse of particular statistical methodologies
(mixed models, GAMs, random forests etc.), ways of improving reproducibility,
data cleaning and model selection practices. We also welcome contributions to
specific topics of relevance to phonetics, such as the statistical modelling
of individual differences, the analysis of sociophonetic dynamics, or the
analysis of time series data (e.g., F0 trajectories, articulatory gestures).
Contributions that provide simulation results (e.g., Type I error simulations,
power simulations), meta-analyses or formal comparisons of different
statistical methods are particularly encouraged. Finally, since the
communication of statistical results is an integral part of the analysis
process, we also welcome contributions that focus on data visualization and
statistical reporting.

Presentations will be 20 minutes followed by 5 minutes for discussion. Talks
will be followed by a 30-minute panel discussion.

Abstracts should be maximally one page of text plus an additional page for
figures, references etc. All abstracts will be reviewed by the two organizers
individually. Abstracts should be submitted via email to
timo.roettger at uni-koeln.de.

Important Dates:

November 30, 2016: First call for abstract submission
January 5, 2017: Second call
January 31, 2017: Abstract submission deadline
February 28, 2017: Notification of acceptance
March 31, 2017: Program finalization
June 11, 2017: Workshop

                       Fund Drive 2016