27.4931, Calls: Phonetics, Phonology, Socioling/Germany

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Dec 1 20:23:26 UTC 2016

LINGUIST List: Vol-27-4931. Thu Dec 01 2016. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 27.4931, Calls: Phonetics, Phonology, Socioling/Germany

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

                       Fund Drive 2016
                   25 years of LINGUIST List!

Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2016 15:23:17
From: Silke Hamann [silke.hamann at uva.nl]
Subject: Phonetics and Phonology in Loanword Adaptation

Full Title: Phonetics and Phonology in Loanword Adaptation
Short Title: PaPLA2017

Date: 11-Jun-2017 - 11-Jun-2017
Location: Cologne, Germany
Contact Person: Silke Hamann
Meeting Email: silke.hamann at uva.nl
Web Site: http://www.fon.hum.uva.nl/klaas/loanwords.html

Linguistic Field(s): Phonetics; Phonology; Sociolinguistics

Call Deadline: 25-Jan-2017

Meeting Description:

We organize a workshop about the roles that phonetics and phonology play in
the adaptation of loanwords. This workshop is held in Cologne on Sunday June
11, 2017, prior to the conference Phonetics and Phonology in Europe 2017. Its
main objective is to bridge the long-lived gap between the so-called
''phonological'' and ''perceptual'' perspectives on loanword adaptation.

We intend to publish selected contributions in a special issue of a renowned
journal.

When and where:

Sunday June 11, 2017 from 14:30 till 18:30, University of Cologne.

Invited Speakers:

Sharon Peperkamp (Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, Paris),
Marko Simonovic (Utrecht University, the Netherlands).

Organizers:

Silke Hamann (University of Amsterdam)
Klaas Seinhorst (University of Amsterdam)

Abstracts:

The main objective of the conference is to bridge the long-lived gap between
the so-called ''phonological'' and ''perceptual'' perspectives on loanword
adaptation. We invite contributions on the topic, specifically submissions
that address one or more of the following questions:

- What do explicit formalizations of ''phonological'' and ''perceptual''
adaptation look like, and what are the differences between them?
- What can the phonological and perceptual stances learn from each other?
- What other factors do we need to incorporate in explanations of loanword
adaptation (e.g. sociolinguistics, orthography, etc.)?

The workshop will only feature talks (of ca. 20-25 minutes each). Please
submit your abstract through EasyChair (http://easychair.org) by January 25,
2017. The abstract must be in pdf format and may not exceed 1 A4 in length (12
pt font size, 1 inch margins) plus 1 additional A4 for tables, figures,
references etc. All abstracts will be reviewed by the two organisers
individually.

Timeline:

January 25, 2017: Abstract submission closes
February 25, 2017: Notification of acceptance
March 15, 2017: Programme finalisation
June 11, 2017: Workshop ''Phonetics and phonology in loanword adaptation''
June 12-14, 2017: Conference ''Phonetics and phonology in Europe''

                       Fund Drive 2016