27.4942, Calls: Anthro Ling, Hist Ling, Ling Theories, Socioling/USA

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Dec 2 15:28:24 UTC 2016

LINGUIST List: Vol-27-4942. Fri Dec 02 2016. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 27.4942, Calls: Anthro Ling, Hist Ling, Ling Theories, Socioling/USA

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

                       Fund Drive 2016
                   25 years of LINGUIST List!

Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2016 10:28:16
From: Joe Salmons [jsalmons at wisc.edu]
Subject: New Ways of Analyzing Variation 46

Full Title: New Ways of Analyzing Variation 46
Short Title: NWAV46

Date: 02-Nov-2017 - 05-Nov-2017
Location: Madison, WI, USA
Contact Person: NWAV 46
Meeting Email: nwav46 at english.wisc.edu
Web Site: http://english.wisc.edu/nwav46/

Linguistic Field(s): Anthropological Linguistics; Historical Linguistics; Linguistic Theories; Sociolinguistics

Call Deadline: 01-Jun-2017

Meeting Description:

NWAV is the leading conference in language variation and change. The theme of
the 2017 meeting is Progress.

Wisconsin had, up until recently, a reputation for being a hotbed of
progressive ideas, and the concept of progress is appropriate for language
variation and change in the state. While the direction of language variation
and change cannot be predicted or considered to constitute progress per se,
the field of linguistics generally and language variation and change
specifically have made strides forward. Borrowing the idea from Robert La
Follette, the theme of “Progress” was selected for 2017 because it can be both
a call for progress, both in terms of how far we’ve come looking behind us and
of the future directions in which we want to see the field move forward.

The plenary speakers feature researchers who seek to further our understanding
of the connection between past and future changes in language.

- Lauren Hall-Lew, University of Edinburgh, Lecturer in Sociolinguistics
- Monica Macaulay, UW-Madison, Professor, Linguisitics
- Almeida Jacqueline Toribio, University of Texas at Austin, Professor,
Department of Spanish & Portuguese
- Julie Washington, Georgia State University, Professor, Educational
Psychology, Special Education and Communication Disorders; Program Director,
Communication Sciences and Disorders

Call for Papers:

New Ways of Analyzing Variation 46: Progress
Deadline for abstracts: June 1, 2017
https://english.wisc.edu/nwav46/?page_id=128

The organizers of New Ways of Analyzing Variation 46 (NWAV46), to be held at
the University of Wisconsin – Madison, invite abstract submissions for
presentations (oral and poster) in all areas related to language variation and
change; we particularly welcome those that fit within the themes and scope of
the 2017 meeting.

Abstracts should be no more than 500 words, excluding references, and must be
anonymized to omit all information about the author(s). All abstracts should
be submitted here: https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=nwav46.

We also invite proposals for special sessions, also no more than 500 words,
excluding references, and abstracts for each paper to be considered for the
session (following the guidelines outlined above).

Authors may submit one single-authored and one joint-authored abstract, or two
joint-authored abstracts. This limit applies to all presentations, regardless
of type (paper, poster). We anticipate having up to 10 Student Travel Awards.

Abstracts will be anonymously reviewed and considered for both oral and poster
presentations. Oral presentations will be selected for four parallel sessions;
presenters will have 20 minutes to present and 10 minutes for questions.
Poster presentations will be featured at two plenary poster sessions, Friday,
November 3, and Saturday, November 4.

- Abstract submissions accepted: April 1 to June 1, 2017
- Decisions sent: July 31, 2017
- Student travel award nominations due: August 1, 2017
- Preliminary program available online: August 31, 2017
- Student travel award decisions: September 15, 2017
- Online conference registration period: July 15 to October 15, 2017
- Conference start day, with on-site registration: November 2, 2017

For further information on the conference, please check the official NWAV46
website, the Facebook site, and follow our Twitter account:

- NWAV 46
- @nwav46
- english.wisc.edu/nwav46/

For general inquiries, please check the official website for updated
information and contacts. Questions about abstract submission should be
directed to nwav46 at english.wisc.edu .

                       Fund Drive 2016

          http://multitree.org/