27.591, Confs: Historical Ling, Ling Theories, Phonology, Syntax, Typology/Netherlands

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Feb 1 15:06:43 UTC 2016

LINGUIST List: Vol-27-591. Mon Feb 01 2016. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 27.591, Confs: Historical Ling, Ling Theories, Phonology, Syntax, Typology/Netherlands

                   25 years of LINGUIST List!

Editor for this issue: Anna White <awhite at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2016 10:06:16
From: Nina Ouddeken [nina.ouddeken at meertens.knaw.nl]
Subject: Dealing with Bad Data in Linguistic Theory

Dealing with Bad Data in Linguistic Theory
Short Title: DBD 2016

Date: 17-Mar-2016 - 18-Mar-2016
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Contact: Edoardo Cavirani
Contact Email: edoardo.cavirani at meertens.knaw.nl
Meeting URL: http://www.meertens.knaw.nl/baddata/

Linguistic Field(s): Historical Linguistics; Linguistic Theories; Phonology; Psycholinguistics; Sociolinguistics; Syntax; Typology

Meeting Description:

In recent years, linguistic theory has significantly expanded its empirical
scope. If it has indeed ever been true that theories were built exclusively on
the researcher’s own armchair judgments, such is definitely no longer the
case. More and more, researchers have turned their attention to databases and
corpora of all kinds, to experimental results, and to many other types of data
sources. This development went hand in hand with an expansion of the scope of
the theories, and collaborations with e.g. historical linguistics,
dialectologists, and psycholinguists.

We believe that this is a positive development; but we also believe that some
issues have not been sufficiently discussed. In this workshop we aim to tackle
the issue of how to deal with ‘bad data’: many data that we have to deal with
has not been collected with exactly the questions in mind that we want to ask.
E.g., we have to use the results of a dialect survey of a few decades ago as
the money is lacking to set up a new survey; or certain data are simply
lacking for a particular historical period.

Please register before March 1 on the conference website
(http://www.meertens.knaw.nl/baddata/). The registration fee (€ 25,--) should
be paid on the first day of the workshop (coffee, tea and lunch on both days
included). Please note that there is only a limited number of places
available.

Invited Speakers:

Carson Schütze (University of California, Los Angeles)
Cecilia Poletto (Goethe Universität Frankfurt am Main)
Charles Yang (University of Pennsylvania)
Christina Tortora (The City University of New York)
Jeroen van Craenenbroeck (KU Leuven)
Joel Wallenberg (Newcastle University)
Keren Rice (University of Toronto)
Paul de Lacy (Rutgers University)
Paul Kiparsky (Stanford University)
Paula Fikkert (Radboud Universiteit Nijmegen)

Program:

Thursday March 17, 2016

9:00 – 9:55
Paul Kiparsky (Stanford University)
To be announced

9:55 – 10:50
Paul de Lacy (Rutgers University)
The evidentiary enterprise

10:50 – 11:20 Break

11:20 – 11:55
Tjong Kim Sang (Meertens Instituut)
Dealing with Bad Data Problems of the SAND

11:55 – 12:50
Jeroen van Craenenbroeck (KU Leuven)
Handle your verb clusters with care

12:50 -14:00 Lunch

14:00 – 14:55
Joel Wallenberg (Newcastle University)
On Very Slow Change: The decline of relative clause extraposition

14:55 – 15:30
Henri Kauhanen (University of Manchester) & George Walkden (University of
Manchester)
Signal or noise? Biases, interactions and the Constant Rate Effect

15:30 – 15:55 Break

15:55 – 16:30
Grant Goodall (University of California, San Diego)
When data collide: A case study of traditional judgments vs. formal
experiments in sentence acceptability

16:30 – 17:05
Norbert Corver (Universiteit Utrecht), Marjo van Koppen (Universiteit Utrecht)
& Jolien Scholten (Universiteit Utrecht)
Are(n’t) my data compatible with those? Some methodological issues in the
micro-comparative study of pronominals and demonstratives

17:05 – 18:00
Cecilia Poletto (Goethe Universität Frankfurt am Main)
Are big data always bad data? How to make your best with incomplete data

Friday March 18, 2016

9:00 – 9:55
Keren Rice (University of Toronto)
Bad data, incomplete data, and inappropriate data: A view from fieldwork

9:55- 10:50
Carson Schutze (University of California, Los Angeles)
Crowdsourcing is not a Panacea for Judgment Collection

10:50 – 11:20 Break

11:20 – 11:55
Isaac Gould (The University of Kansas)
When Judgments are Insufficient: An Evaluation Metric for Syntactic Theory

11:55-12:50
Paula Fikkert (Radboud Universiteit Nijmegen)
Dealing with Bad Data in Language Acquisition

12:50-14:00 Lunch

14:00 – 14:55
Christina Tortora (The City University of New York)
To be announced

14:55-15:30
Yang Li (University of Cambridge)
Evidence in incomplete neutralisation: tonal data and Bayesian inference

15:30-15:55 Break

15:55-16:30
João Veríssimo (Universität Potsdam), Vera Heyer (Universität Potsdam), Clare
Patterson (Universität Potsdam) & Gunnar Jacob (Universität Potsdam)
Dealing with noise across participants, items, and experiments: The case of
non-native morphological processing

16:30 – 17:05
Hélène Giraudo (Université de Toulouse & CNRS) & Serena Dal Maso (Università
degli Studi di Verona)
Bad data in psycholinguistic research on morphological processing
17:05 – 18:00
Charles Yang (University of Pennsylvania)
When Big Data is Bad (and Why Small Data is Enough)

          http://multitree.org/