27.597, Calls: Cog Sci, Comp Ling, Socioling/France

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Feb 1 15:30:03 UTC 2016

LINGUIST List: Vol-27-597. Mon Feb 01 2016. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 27.597, Calls: Cog Sci, Comp Ling, Socioling/France

                   25 years of LINGUIST List!

Editor for this issue: Amanda Foster <amanda at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2016 10:29:50
From: Jean-Pierre Chevrot [jean-pierre.chevrot at u-grenoble3.fr]
Subject: Workshop on Data Driven Approach to Networks and Language

Full Title: Workshop on Data Driven Approach to Networks and Language
Short Title: NetSpringLyon

Date: 11-May-2016 - 13-May-2016
Location: Lyon, France
Contact Person: Jean-Pierre Chevrot
Meeting Email: jpchevrot at wanadoo.fr
Web Site: https://project.inria.fr/netspringlyon/

Linguistic Field(s): Cognitive Science; Computational Linguistics; Sociolinguistics

Call Deadline: 12-Feb-2016

Meeting Description:

Data Driven Approach to Networks and Language
Lyon, France, 11-13 May 2016

Website: http://netspringlyon.fr

Scope and Topics:

The first aim of this workshop is to enhance our understanding of the links
between individuals, social structure, and language usage. These questions
should be addressed by the detailed analysis of recently available large
digital datasets, like ones collected in Twitter and other systems. These
datasets include the social interactions and the utterances of a large number
of individuals, which allows for the coupled analysis of the social network
and language variation and change as a function of time. Our goal is to
contribute to the interdisciplinary fields of computational sociolinguistics,
network science, data-driven and computational approaches to language and
social network. We will bring together researchers focusing on network
linguistics, from different fields: machine learning, data analytics, data
mining, computational modeling, large-scale graph-structured high-dimensional
data, low-dimensional representations by dimensionality reduction. A second
objective of the workshop will be to discuss about these types of methods,
which follow often from a data driven approach, especially for their
application to social media dataset.

Keynote Speakers:

- Stéphanie Barbu (UMR 6552 EthoS)
- Richard Benton (University of Illinois)
- Jacob Eisenstein (Georgia Tech)
- Alfred Hero (University of Michigan)
- José M. F. Moura (Carnegie Mellon University)

Organizing Committee:

- Jean-Pierre Chevrot (University Grenoble Alpes, LIDILEM)
- Eric Fleury (ENS de Lyon/Inria, LIP)
- Márton Karsai (ENS de Lyon/Inria, LIP)
- Jean-Philippe Magué (ENS de Lyon, ICAR)
- Matthieu Quignard (ENS de Lyon, ICAR)

Final Call for Papers:

Extended deadline : 12 February, 2016
Data Driven Approach to Networks and Language
http://netspringlyon.fr
Lyon, France, 11-13 May, 2016

Registrations:

Registration is not yet open. The registration to the workshop will be free
but mandatory. Registration will include lunch and breaks and one social
event/cocktail.

Submission of abstracts:

We invite you to submit a 1 or 2-page abstract via our EasyChair submission
link:

https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=d2netlang

At least one author of each accepted paper should register and attend the
Workshop on Data Driven Approach to Networks and Language to present their
work.

Important Dates (Deadline Extended):

Abstract submission deadline: 12 February, 2016
Notification to authors: 27 February, 2016
Conference date: 11-13 May, 2016