27.631, FYI: Encyclopedia of Evolutionary Psychological Science

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Feb 2 19:38:58 UTC 2016

LINGUIST List: Vol-27-631. Tue Feb 02 2016. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 27.631, FYI: Encyclopedia of Evolutionary Psychological Science

                   25 years of LINGUIST List!

Editor for this issue: Ashley Parker <ashley at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2016 14:38:42
From: Christopher Watkins [c.watkins at abertay.ac.uk]

Dear colleagues,

I write to make a call for enquiries from potential contributors to the
language section of the above Encyclopedia.

I am writing in my role as Section Editor for the Encyclopedia of Evolutionary
Psychological Science, a new reference work edited by Todd Shackelford and
Viviana Weekes-Shackelford to be published by Springer in both print and
online.

The encyclopedia has a section on language evolution, drawing on perspectives
from nonhuman research, evolutionary biology, psychology and anthropology.
There are three categories of entry:
Central topics are longer entries (5-10,000 words), 'key ideas/people' are
medium-length (2-5000 words) and 'brief entries' are 500-2000 words.

I am looking for potential contributors with expertise in the following areas
who would be willing to contribute to one or more of the terms below:

Central topics: ''The field of linguistics'', ''Neurobiology of language''.

Key ideas/people: ''The language instinct'', ''Gestural theory'', ''Obligatory
reciprocal altruism hypothesis'', ''Semantics'', ''Gossip and grooming
hypothesis'', ''Language dysfunction'', ''Mirror neurons'', ''Phonemes and
symbols'', ''Physiology of language'', ''Putting the baby down theory'',
''Ritual and speech coevolution''.

Brief entries: ''Collective social endorsement'', ''Chomsky's 'Non-existence'
hypothesis'', ''Exclusivity'', ''False beliefs'', ''Goal detection'',
''Inter-generational dependency'', ''Kin-selection misfire'', ''Language
modularity'', ''Language preadaptations'', ''Stuttering'', ''Symbolic
culture'', ''Universal grammar'', ''Verbing and nouning'', ''Arbitrary'',
''Cheap signals'', ''Displaced reference'', ''Enforcement'', ''Gossip and
narration'', ''Metaphor and analogy'', ''Moral language regulation'',
''Nativism'', ''Primate gesture'', ''Semiotic constraints'', ''Sign
language'', ''Spontaneous language''.

If you would like to contribute to one or more of these terms, please feel
free to send me an initial enquiry at c.watkins at abertay.ac.uk, where I will be
happy to answer any further questions that you may have about the
Encyclopedia. Contributors have 90 days from the date of formal acceptance to
complete their entry and multiple-author entries are accepted. Due to our own
timeline with the publisher, I would appreciate hearing from potential authors
by 18th February at the latest.

In appreciation, authors will receive:
- free access to the online version of the Encyclopedia;
- free access to all reference works on Springer's database
(http://link.springer.com); and
- 33.33% author's discount on all titles available for purchase on
http://www.springer.com/us.

Springer's reference works have a wide reach with over 500 titles and about
500,000 individual contributions available on
link.springer.com<http://link.springer.com/>. Your contribution will take part
in an online-first workflow, wherein contributions are published online just a
few months after submission and completion of peer review. You won't have to
wait until the print version to view and cite the final version of your
contribution.

Best wishes and kind regards
Christopher Watkins
(Section Editor)