27.645, Summer Schools: Summer School 2016 with Nathan Salmon/Bamberg, Germany

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Feb 3 15:20:37 UTC 2016

LINGUIST List: Vol-27-645. Wed Feb 03 2016. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 27.645, Summer Schools: Summer School 2016 with Nathan Salmon/Bamberg, Germany

                   25 years of LINGUIST List!

Editor for this issue: Ashley Parker <ashley at linguistlist.org>

Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2016 10:20:31
From: Sebastian Krebs [sebastian.krebs at uni-bamberg.de]

Summer School 2016 with Nathan Salmon/Bamberg, Germany

Host Institution: Universität Bamberg
Coordinating Institution: Universität Bamberg
Website: http://www.summerschool-bamberg.de

Dates: 14-Jul-2016 - 16-Jul-2016
Location: Bamberg, Germany

Focus: From July 14 until July 16, 2016, the University of Bamberg philosophy department hosts its third international Summer School in cooperation with the department for German linguistics at the University of Bamberg and the Forum Theoretical Philosophy. We are happy to announce that Nathan Salmon (UC Santa Barbara) will present and discuss his recent work in the philosophy of language.
Minimum Education Level: BA

Professor Salmon is one of the most distinguished scholars in contemporary
analytic philosophy. His work mainly focuses on reference theory and the
related problems of intensionality and the existence of fictional objects, but
he also made significant contributions to the on-going debates on the
distinction of pragmatics and semantics, identity theory and the renaissance
of Aristotelian essentialism in contemporary philosophy. Professor Salmon
studied with Alonzo Church, Keith Donnellan, David Kaplan and Saul Kripke
(among others), and is Distinguished Professor of philosophy at the University
of California, Santa Barbara where he has been teaching since 1984.

With our Summer School, we want to create an intensive philosophical
experience for young academics who want to discuss current issues in
philosophy of language and theoretical linguistics with one of the most
important experts in the field. There will be three days of high-level
discussion. Participants will receive a certificate listing the exact content
of the course which they might hand in for credit at their home universities.

Fore more information, see www.summerschool-bamberg.de

                      Philosophy of Language
                      Pragmatics
                      Semantics

Tuition: 120 EUR

Tuition Explanation: Admission to the Summer School is competitive and entirely merit based. There
will be a small participation fee of 120 Euros which covers tuition for the
course, hot lunch and light snacks during class. Travel, room and board are
not included: However, we will provide a list of affordable accommodations in
Bamberg and share contact details with

Bamberg students are willing to offer private accommodation for the duration
of the course.

Registration: 01-Feb-2016 to 01-May-2016

Contact Person: Sebastian Krebs
                Email: contact at summerschool-bamberg.de

Apply by Email: contact at summerschool-bamberg.de

Registration Instructions:
We invite graduate students from all departments and universities to apply.
The deadline for registration is May 1, 2016. If you are interested in
participating, please send a short letter of motivation (500-1000 words)
together with details about your University affiliation to
contact at summerschool-bamberg.de. (The letter of motivation can be either in
German or English language; the course will naturally be held in English.)

          http://multitree.org/