27.652, Calls: Comp Ling/Germany

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Feb 3 15:35:28 UTC 2016

LINGUIST List: Vol-27-652. Wed Feb 03 2016. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 27.652, Calls: Comp Ling/Germany

                   25 years of LINGUIST List!

Editor for this issue: Amanda Foster <amanda at linguistlist.org>

Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2016 10:35:20
From: Jörg Tiedemann [jorg.tiedemann at helsinki.fi]
Subject: Shared Task: Cross-lingual Pronoun Prediction

Full Title: Shared Task: Cross-lingual Pronoun Prediction
Short Title: DiscoMT

Date: 11-Aug-2016 - 11-Aug-2016
Location: Berlin, Germany
Contact Person: Liane Guillou
Meeting Email: L.K.Guillou at sms.ed.ac.uk
Web Site: http://www.statmt.org/wmt16/pronoun-task.html

Linguistic Field(s): Computational Linguistics

Call Deadline: 11-Apr-2016

Meeting Description:

Pronoun translation poses a problem for current state-of-the-art SMT systems
as pronoun systems do not map well across languages, e.g., due to differences
in gender, number, case, formality, or humanness, and to differences in where
pronouns may be used. Translation divergences typically lead to mistakes in
SMT, as when translating the English ''it'' into French (''il'', ''elle'', or
''cela''?) or into German (''er'', ''sie'', or ''es''?). One way to model
pronoun translation is to treat it as a cross-lingual pronoun prediction task.

We propose such a task, which asks participants to predict a target-language
pronoun given a source-language pronoun in the context of a sentence. We
further provide a lemmatised target-language human-authored translation of the
source sentence, and automatic word alignments between the source sentence
words and the target-language lemmata. In the translation, the words aligned
to a subset of the source-language third-person pronouns are substituted by
placeholders. The aim of the task is to predict, for each placeholder, the
word that should replace it from a small, closed set of classes, using any
type of information that can be extracted from the documents.

Call for Participation:

WMT 2016 Shared Task on Cross-lingual Pronoun Prediction
Website: http://www.statmt.org/wmt16/pronoun-task.html
At WMT 2016 (collocated with ACL 2016)

We are pleased to announce an exciting cross-lingual pronoun prediction task
for people interested in (discourse-aware) machine translation, anaphora
resolution and machine learning in general.

In the cross-lingual pronoun prediction task, participants are asked to
predict a target-language pronoun given a source-language pronoun in the
context of a sentence. For example, in the English-to-French sub-task, to
predict the correct translation of ''it'' or ''they'' into French (ce, elle,
elles, il, ils, ça, cela, on, Other). You may use any type of information that
can be extracted from the documents. We provide training and development data
and a simple baseline system using an N-gram language model.

Participants are invited to submit systems for the English-French and
English-German language pairs, for both directions.

More details can be found below, and on our website:
http://www.statmt.org/wmt16/pronoun-task.html

Important Dates:

2 February 2016, Release of training data
4 April 2016, Release of test data
11 April 2016, System submission
8 May 2016, Paper submission deadline
5 June 2016, Notification of acceptance