27.768, Calls: Comp Ling, Pragmatics, Psycholing, Semantics, Syntax/Germany

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Feb 10 17:06:24 UTC 2016

LINGUIST List: Vol-27-768. Wed Feb 10 2016. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 27.768, Calls: Comp Ling, Pragmatics, Psycholing, Semantics, Syntax/Germany

                   25 years of LINGUIST List!

Editor for this issue: Anna White <awhite at linguistlist.org>

Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2016 12:06:15
From: Ingo Reich [i.reich at mx.uni-saarland.de]
Subject: Fragments

Full Title: Fragments

Date: 13-Oct-2016 - 14-Oct-2016
Location: Saarbrücken, Germany
Contact Person: Ingo Reich
Meeting Email: fragments at uni-saarland.de
Web Site: http://pragmatics.uni-saarland.de/fragments/

Linguistic Field(s): Computational Linguistics; Pragmatics; Psycholinguistics; Semantics; Syntax

Call Deadline: 01-May-2016

Meeting Description:

In everyday language, people produce all sorts of non-sentential utterances
while still communicating  propositional content and having illocutionary
force: We can order (the surely classic) decaffeinated cappuccino by simply
uttering „a decaf cappuccino, please“. We can pay someone a compliment by
emphatically uttering „Fantastic!“. And a headline like „Merkel at the White
House“ tells us about an upcoming meeting of Merkel with Obama in the States.
The use of some of these ‚fragments‘ seems to be restricted to specific
situations and to rely more on structural knowledge (like in the cappuccino
scenario). Others less so (like in the compliment scenario). Some fragments
are also restricted to certain genres (as in the Merkel example), others are
not.

This two day workshop, organized by project B3 of the SFB 1102 „Information
Density and Linguistic Encoding“ (see http://www.sfb1102.uni-saarland.de for
more information) aims at bringing together people working on the syntax,
semantics, pragmatics and psycholinguistics of fragments / non-sentential
utterances to tackle some of the following (and related) questions:

- What is the syntax of non-sentential utterances?
- In what way are non-sentential utterances propositionally enriched?
- How does structural knowledge play a role here?
- To what extent does the usage of a fragment depend on genres/speech
registers?
- Last and most importantly, why do we use fragments at all?

Invited Speakers:

Peter Culicover (Ohio State University)
Jason Merchant (University of Chicago)
Robert van Rooij (University of Amsterdam)

Organizers:

Ingo Reich, Eva Horch, Robin Lemke
(Project B3 „Information Density and Fragments in German“, SFB 1102)

Call for Papers:

We invite papers (20 minutes plus 10 discussion) on all aspects of
non-sentential language use and from different theoretical perspectives
(formal, cognitive, information-structural, information-theoretical,
relevance-theoretical, to mention only some prominent approaches). Abstracts
should be no more than two pages in length (including examples and
references), in 12-point font, US Letter size or A4 paper with 1-inch/2.5cm
margins, in PDF format. Please submit your abstract by e-mail to Ingo Reich at
 fragments at uni-saarland.de .

Deadline for submitting abstracts: 01 May 2016
Notification of acceptance: No later than 29 May 2016