27.907, Calls: General Ling, Historical Ling, Socioling, Text/Corpus Ling/Poland

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Feb 19 15:03:41 UTC 2016

LINGUIST List: Vol-27-907. Fri Feb 19 2016. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 27.907, Calls: General Ling, Historical Ling, Socioling, Text/Corpus Ling/Poland

                   25 years of LINGUIST List!

Editor for this issue: Anna White <awhite at linguistlist.org>

Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2016 10:02:22
From: Melitta Gillmann [melitta.gillmann at uni-hamburg.de]
Subject: Doubtful cases: A fresh look

Full Title: Doubtful cases: A fresh look

Date: 15-Sep-2016 - 17-Sep-2016
Location: Poznan, Poland
Contact Person: Melitta Gillmann
Meeting Email: melitta.gillmann at uni-hamburg.de
Web Site: http://wa.amu.edu.pl/plm/2016/Doubtful_cases

Linguistic Field(s): General Linguistics; Historical Linguistics; Sociolinguistics; Text/Corpus Linguistics

Call Deadline: 30-Mar-2016

Meeting Description:

Languages allow expressions that differ only formally but are semantically
equivalent (e.g. Germ wegen dem Unwetter or wegen des Unwetters ‘because of
the-dat.sg storm[dat.sg]/the-gen.sg storm-gen.sg’, Engl She dove/dived into
the water, Pol Jedziemy do supersamu/do supersama ‘We are going to the
supermarket-gen.sg’). The existing variants are often explained to fulfil
complex indexical functions (Johnstone in press, Trudgill 2011, Davies/Langer
2006, Harnisch 2004 among others) and to be linked to different categories
like conceptual orality/literacy (Koch/Oesterreicher 2007), diastratic,
diaphasic or diatopic variables or to spoken or written medium. This session
draws a different perspective and addresses the question how the
speakers/writers deal with particular variants: facing these interchangeable
forms, competent speakers may doubt which one to use in a particular
situation. In accordance to Klein (2003) we call such variants doubtful cases.

Some doubtful cases have already been approached empirically, mostly from a
language systemic perspective on the choice of variants (see
Bubenhofer/Hansen-Morath/Konopka 2014 among others). However, for a
comprehensive understanding of the phenomenon of doubtful cases, which
includes the doubting speaker's perspective, a fresh look at the data as well
as new methodological means are necessary, e.g. experimental studies, analysis
of metalinguistic discourse, and corpus-driven research. Important questions
are: Who doubts and when? How do we know that speakers/writers actually doubt?
To what extent does the medium (written vs. spoken language) or the
communication conditions give rise to doubts? How much impact does the
salience (Auer 2014) of a particular doubtful case exert? Which role does the
prestige of one formal variant play (Szczepaniak 2014)?

In this session we invite scholars to explore these different aspects of
doubtful cases in different languages. We welcome talks on systemic and/or
sociolinguistic variation, on the speaker's view and on the lay discourse.
Contributions from corpus linguistics, discourse analysis, experimental
linguistics, and psycholinguistics are invited, as well as contributions
discussing the treatment of doubtful cases at school.

Call for Papers:

All abstracts of papers to be presented at PLM2016 must be submitted using the
EasyChair system (for further information see
http://wa.amu.edu.pl/plm/2016/PLM2016_Abstract_submission)

Please note that for our session the submission deadline for the individual
talks has been extended to March 30, 2016.

          http://multitree.org/