27.950, Calls: Anthropological Ling, Discourse Analysis, Lang Doc, Pragmatics, Socioling/UK

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Feb 23 19:23:16 UTC 2016

LINGUIST List: Vol-27-950. Tue Feb 23 2016. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 27.950, Calls: Anthropological Ling, Discourse Analysis, Lang Doc, Pragmatics, Socioling/UK

                   25 years of LINGUIST List!

Editor for this issue: Anna White <awhite at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2016 14:23:09
From: Birgul Yilmaz [b_yilmaz at soas.ac.uk]
Subject: Language and Conflict: Politics of Language and Identity across Contexts

Full Title: Language and Conflict: Politics of Language and Identity across Contexts

Date: 20-May-2016 - 20-May-2016
Location: SOAS, University of London, United Kingdom
Contact Person: Birgul Yilmaz
Meeting Email: b_yilmaz at soas.ac.uk

Linguistic Field(s): Anthropological Linguistics; Discourse Analysis; Language Documentation; Pragmatics; Sociolinguistics

Call Deadline: 30-Mar-2016

Meeting Description:

This one day workshop brings together scholars and graduate students working
on the role of language in on-going and post-conflict contexts. Examples could
include (but are not limited to) the Middle East, Africa, the Balkans, and
Western Europe, including diaspora and migration contexts.

The workshop aims at exploring the intersection of language and conflict on
several levels, stressing the role of language and identity:

– Firstly, a micro level with a particular focus on the interactional
construction or discourse of conflict (and resolution)
– Secondly, we focus on the macro structures of conflict, drawing on processes
of language policies and revitalization in such contexts
– Thirdly, we focus on the potential role of languages in inter-community,
intra-community or social cohesion.

Call for Papers:

Language and Conflict: Politics of Language and Identity across Contexts
School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS), University of London

Organising Committee: Birgul Yilmaz and Dr. Julia Sallabank

We welcome papers from fields such as:
- Sociolinguistics
- Linguistic Anthropology
- Critical/ Discourse Analysis
- Political Science
- Conflict, Peace, Violence and Development Studies
Interdisciplinary studies are especially welcome.

This event is a one-day workshop with an opening keynote presentation by Prof.
Hilary Footitt, University of Reading, followed by presentations by selected
speakers (max. 20), in parallel sessions. Each of the presenters would have 20
minutes for the talk, plus 10 minutes for questions.

We invite 20-mintute-long papers contributing to the debate on the
relationship between language and conflict contested on interactional and
policy-based dimensions.

Submissions of 300-word abstracts should be sent to: js72 at soas.ac.uk &
b_yilmaz at soas.ac.uk

The deadline for submissions is: 30 March 2016.
Accepted speakers will be notified on: 20 April 2016.

*Attendance to this workshop is free. We have a small traveling bursary for
the accepted speakers who are students/ unwaged traveling within the UK.
* Abstracts will go blind review, please make sure that your abstract is
blinded as a word document or pdf.

          http://multitree.org/