27.1025, Jobs: Applied Linguistics; Discourse Analysis; Pragmatics; Sociolinguistics: Social Media UGC Analyst, Treato

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Feb 26 20:23:58 UTC 2016

LINGUIST List: Vol-27-1025. Fri Feb 26 2016. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 27.1025, Jobs: Applied Linguistics; Discourse Analysis; Pragmatics; Sociolinguistics: Social Media UGC Analyst, Treato

                   25 years of LINGUIST List!

Editor for this issue: Andrew Lamont <alamont at linguistlist.org>

Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2016 15:23:51
From: Pamela Batzel [pamelab at treato.com]
Subject: Applied Linguistics; Discourse Analysis; Pragmatics; Sociolinguistics: Social Media UGC Analyst, Treato, USA

University or Organization: Treato
Department: Consulting Services
Job Location: , USA (Telecommute)
Job Title: Social Media UGC Analyst
Job Rank: Consultant; Other; Social Media UGC Analyst

Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics; Discourse Analysis; Pragmatics; Sociolinguistics

A company that conducts discourse analyses of social media healthcare
discussions among patients and caregivers is looking for master’s and PhD
level linguists with academic knowledge in sociolinguistics and rhetoric to
surface deep insights about patients’ experiences with their illness,
treatments, physicians and identity. Applicants should have knowledge of the
theories, tools and practices developed and used in discourse analysis.

Do you naturally attend to cognitive metaphors to discern relationship of
speaker to object? Do you find verb tenses ripe, providing insight into how a
person relates to time and why that’s important to understand their
relationship to time given their context? What does a specific in-use anaphora
reveal about the complex relationship between a person and their disease,
their symptoms or overall experience? What are your linguistic tools for
culling out agency? Who has agency? What has agency? What are the markers of
interagency relationships? Are you familiar with dialogism or concepts of a
speaker imagining even non-present listeners or projecting more than one type
of listener? How does this help you understand the complexity of a patient’s
experience?

These are the tools we use to analyze our data and we’re looking for
consultants who are interested in joining a team that produces insightful
reports for corporate partners in relatively short runs (~ 6 weeks). The depth
of insight requires expertise and our timelines require flexibility and
efficiency. Teamwork is a critical part of our approach but having the ability
to work independently is also an essential attribute.

While the depth of insights are founded on academic principles, the findings
must be geared towards clients who can take these insights and our
recommendations into the marketplace.

Analysis is comprised of both qualitative review but also ‘coding’ data in
Excel to ensure that the findings are supported by quantified findings that
integrate with the qualitative insights and overall story.

Working with corpus-based software, such as concordance software, is
increasingly part of our approach and familiarity with such software is a plus
but not essential.

As a consulting position, this project-by-project based engagement is an
opportunity to build your own consulting ‘gig’ as you work with us and other
non-competitive agencies or to build a resume with the potential for a
recommendation for full-time positions based on your consulting work.

Because projects must be completed in relatively short time periods,
consultant’s need to have at least 25 hours per week available for the
duration of a project.

*Note: we are only hiring social media analysts. Please do not contact us
regarding analytics or computational positions.

Application Deadline: 31-May-2016

Email Address for Applications: pamelab at treato.com
Contact Information:
	Sr. Dir., Consulting Services Pamela Batzel
	Email: pamelab at treato.com
	Phone: 267.907.2124