27.1045, Diss: Portuguese, Lexicography: Jose Luiz De Lucca: 'Minidictionaries of the Portuguese Language: lexical statistics analysis of the macro and microstructure'

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Feb 29 16:43:52 UTC 2016

LINGUIST List: Vol-27-1045. Mon Feb 29 2016. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 27.1045, Diss:  Portuguese, Lexicography: Jose Luiz De Lucca: 'Minidictionaries of the Portuguese Language: lexical statistics analysis of the macro and microstructure'

                   25 years of LINGUIST List!

Editor for this issue: Ashley Parker <ashley at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 29 Feb 2016 11:43:38
From: Jose De Lucca [JLDLME at hotmail.com]

Institution: Universidade de São Paulo
Program: Linguistics
Dissertation Status: Completed
Degree Date: 2001

Author: Jose Luiz De Lucca

Dissertation Title: Minidictionaries of the Portuguese Language: lexical
statistics analysis of the macro and microstructure

Dissertation URL:  http://dedalus.usp.br/F?func=direct&local_base=USP01&doc_number=001209954

Linguistic Field(s): Lexicography

Subject Language(s): Portuguese (por)

Dissertation Director(s):
Maria Vicentina de Paula do Amaral Dick

Dissertation Abstract:

This PhD thesis results of two lexicographical researches: the first, based on
the studied corpus of eight minidicionies, six published in Brazil and two in
Portugal, through the collection, tabulation and contrastive analysis of the
level of resolution of the lexical items of the Introduction & appendixes,
macro and microstructures; the second, a field research for sampling,
accomplished in the city of São Paulo, involving students and teachers of the
fundamental and medium teaching of two schools of the private net and three of
the public net. The lexicon-statistical analysis of the level of resolution of
the minidicionaries understood: Introduction & appendixes - in that analyzed
Introduction & appendixes - the macrostructure -, in that we prioritized the
loans, gaps, locutions, neologisms, proper names, prefix against, prefixes and
suffixes, acronyms; - microstructure -, through antonyms and synonyms, defined
article, augmentative irregular, lexical field, contexts, definitions,
circular definitions, irregular diminutive, syllabic division, domain,
feminine gender, syncretic forms, homophonous, homographs, explanation
language, paronyms, plural of the composed words, polissemy, predicative
verba, cross-references, labelling, synthetic absolute superlatives,
tautology, explanation vocabulary and open/close vowel. The field research for
sampling was made through almost 900 questionnaires, of the which we selected
311 for our final analysis, representative of the enrolled students’ universe
in the medium teaching of Brazil in 1999. These analyses intended to be
representative of the total corpus, so much of minidictionaires now published
in Brazil, as of enrolled students in the Brazilian high education. We expose,
still, the historical panorama of the lexicographical production in
minidictionaires, the theoretical foundations, establishment of the corpus and
methodology, an analysis of two lexical fields (fish and fruits) and the
typology of the monolingual dictionaries and the bibliography. Of the
researches above, we presented, as conclusion of the work, a suggestion of
model of Super-minidictionary of Portuguese language for the high educationthe
which we selected 311 for our final analysis,