27.45, Calls: General Linguistics/Netherlands

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Jan 4 18:28:00 UTC 2016

LINGUIST List: Vol-27-45. Mon Jan 04 2016. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 27.45, Calls: General Linguistics/Netherlands

                   25 years of LINGUIST List!

Editor for this issue: Anna White <awhite at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2016 13:27:37
From: Marieke Droogsma [mariekedroogsma at gmail.com]
Subject: TWISTx: 10th Student Conference in Linguistics

Full Title: TWISTx: 10th Student Conference in Linguistics
Short Title: TWISTx

Date: 22-Apr-2016 - 22-Apr-2016
Location: Leiden, Netherlands
Contact Person: Marieke Droogsma
Meeting Email: conference at studieverenigingtwist.nl
Web Site: http://studieverenigingtwist.nl/wordpress/algemene-berichten/call-for-papers/

Call Deadline: 31-Jan-2016

Meeting Description:

We are excited to announce the 10th Linguistics Conference on 22 April 2016. Undergraduate, graduate and postgraduate students are very welcome to present their original research (e.g. for (a part of) a thesis or on a project) in a friendly atmosphere with fellow students, researchers and lecturers.

T.W.I.S.T., the Leiden student association for linguistics, has organized the students’ conference for the past nine years. This edition will be extra interesting as we are celebrating the 10th anniversary. It will be a notable event that everyone who is interested in linguistics will surely want to experience.

Research on all languages and all areas of linguistics are welcomed: from descriptive linguistics to syntax and from sociolinguistics to historical phonology. All presentations have a duration of 20 minutes and there will be five minutes time for discussion. Some topics from past conferences are: “Nominal tense: how Amazonian languages punch us in the face”, “The paradoxal combination of ‘yes no’ in spoken Dutch”, “Word learning strategies in SLI teenagers” and “Gallo-Romance in the Lex Salica”.

What we offer:

The T.W.I.S.T. students’ conference offers you a truly academic yet open and informal platform to present your research to fellow students and fellow researchers from all over the country. As a speaker you are naturally invited to attend lectures by guest speakers, students and postgraduates.
A lunch is provided.

The best papers will be selected for publication in the proceedings of the conference.
In between lectures and during the breaks you will have plenty of opportunities to meet and converse with fellow students, researchers and academic lecturers. The conferences have been attended by over 70 students and researchers.

Call for Papers:

Undergraduate, graduate and postgraduate students are very welcome to present their original research. Research on all languages and all areas of linguistics are welcomed.

How to apply:

Please send an abstract about your original research, along with your name and contact information to conference at studieverenigingtwist.nl.

Please make clear what your research is about, what makes it interesting, and what (preliminary) conclusions you draw from your research. The abstract should contain at most 300 words. We strive to make the whole conference accessible for English-language students.

The deadline for sending in the abstracts is 29 February 2016. The committee will announce the selected speakers two weeks after the deadline.

This year the call for papers is also open for students and researchers from outside the Netherlands. However, due to logistic reasons, the deadline for speakers from abroad is 31 January 2016.
We are looking forward to reading your abstracts and welcoming you at the 10th T.W.I.S.T. Linguistics Conference!

For questions and additional information, you can reach us on the email address provided below.

Conference committee 2015–2016 on behalf of Student association T.W.I.S.T.
conference at studieverenigingtwist.nl

          http://multitree.org/