27.149, Calls: Applied Ling/UK

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Jan 8 00:41:56 UTC 2016

LINGUIST List: Vol-27-149. Thu Jan 07 2016. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 27.149, Calls: Applied Ling/UK

                   25 years of LINGUIST List!

Editor for this issue: Ashley Parker <ashley at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2016 19:41:51
From: Judit Kormos [j.kormos at lancaster.ac.uk]
Subject: BAAL Language Learning and Teaching SIG conference

Full Title: BAAL Language Learning and Teaching SIG conference

Date: 30-Jun-2016 - 01-Jul-2016
Location: Lancaster, United Kingdom
Contact Person: Judit Kormos
Meeting Email: baalsig.llt2016 at gmail.com
Web Site: http://wp.lancs.ac.uk/baal-sig-learn-teach/

Call Deadline: 28-Feb-2016

Meeting Description:

Traditionally, language teaching and learning has been compartmentalised in
many ways in our research, teaching methodology, materials, and perceptions.
Boundaries and borders are now disappearing and language learning and teaching
takes place in contexts where there are increasingly fewer walls. We can no
longer clearly differentiate modern foreign language from second language
teaching and learning, private and public sectors, teacher and students roles,
classroom and outside classroom engagement.

This conference will encourage participants to explore the challenges and
possibilities afforded by the varied settings, modes, teaching methods, roles
and means of ommunication in current day language teaching with the merging of
learning environments.

What are the differing contributions of blended learning, computer mediated
communication and face to face modes to language learning?
What can we learn from the synergy of  language learning and teaching in
different settings, different linguistic contexts and at different ages?
How can the effective use of home languages and translanguaging contribute to
language teaching and learning?
What do we know of language learners as language users, and the different
contexts in which they use their languages?
In what ways can different research perspectives and innovative methodologies
provide complementary views of learning and teaching processes?

Confirmed plenary speakers:

Professor Angela Creese, University of Birmingham

Professor Neil Mercer, University of Cambridge

Professor Judit Kormos, Lancaster University

Call for Papers:

Papers are invited for presentations of 20 minutes + 10 minutes for questions.
Poster proposals are also welcome. A title and 250 word (maximum) proposal
should be submitted by 28 February 2016 to
http://linguistlist.org/easyabs/baalsiglancaster2016
Notifications of the acceptance of abstracts will be received by the first of
week of April.
For further information, please visit the webpage:
http://wp.lancs.ac.uk/baal-sig-learn-teach/
Questions and enquiries can be sent to baalsig.llt2016 at gmail.com