27.375, Calls: Text/Corpus Ling/Italy

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Jan 20 15:34:20 UTC 2016

LINGUIST List: Vol-27-375. Wed Jan 20 2016. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 27.375, Calls: Text/Corpus Ling/Italy

                   25 years of LINGUIST List!

Editor for this issue: Amanda Foster <amanda at linguistlist.org>

Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2016 10:34:02
From: Charlotte Taylor [festivalofmethods at gmail.com]
Subject: Festival of Methods

Full Title: Festival of Methods

Date: 30-Jun-2016 - 30-Jun-2016
Location: Siena, Pontignano, Italy
Contact Person: Charlotte Taylor
Meeting Email: festivalofmethods at gmail.com

Linguistic Field(s): Text/Corpus Linguistics

Call Deadline: 30-Jun-2016

Meeting Description:

We have introduced an innovative element into the Corpus & Discourse
conference series which is designed to explore the effects of our choice of
tools, methods and approaches. We are calling this new kind of panel event the
Festival of Methods because we hope it will be an engaging exploration and
celebration of the range of methods we have available. In many ways, this
follows on from inter-researcher and objectivity/subjectivity studies such as
Marchi & Taylor (2009), Baker (2011) and Baker & Levon (2015), Baker (2015)
but also draws on the traditions of the shared task in computational
linguistics where conference participants are given the chance to all work on
the same data with the same research question.

One of the difficulties we face when comparing effects of different methods is
that we are all working on different projects, and the Festival of Methods is
designed to allow us to overcome this. Our plan is that it will become a
regular feature in the Corpora & Discourse conference series and so, ahead of
each conference, a task will be set dedicated time will be set aside at the
conference for papers reporting findings and extended discussion on the kinds
of analyses that were developed and findings that were reached. It is
anticipated that the structure of the task will vary each time.

Call for Papers:

Festival of Methods, 30 June 2016, running as part of the Corpora & Discourse
conference, Siena, Italy

For Corpora & Discourse 2016, to recognise the centenary of the Easter Rising,
a key moment on Ireland’s journey to independence, the Festival of Methods
task is as follows:
Research topic: How is Ireland / being Irish represented in UK parliamentary
discourse?
Corpus: Hansard Corpus (accessible from Mark Davies’s free BYU suite or texts
available from organisers)

Participants are encouraged to approach the topic from any aspect. They may
make as little or as much use of corpus tools as they wish, and approaches
using different discourse analytic frames are very welcome. Collaborative
contributions are also encouraged.

If you would like to participate in the Festival, please send a 300-word
abstract summarising your planned approach to FestivalofMethods at gmail.com by
31 January 2015.

If accepted, you will be asked to submit a short summary of findings by 10
June 2015. These summaries will allow us to identify the main themes for
discussion.
The event will run on the afternoon of 30 June, and will be structured around
an extended poster presentation session, followed by discussion groups working
on particular themes and a final panel to which all participants will be
invited. Other conference attendees will also be invited to join in the
discussions and put questions to the panel. We expect it to be a stimulating
and interactive afternoon for all involved.

NB Presenters may submit abstracts both for the main Corpora & Discourse
conference and for the Festival of Methods.

Organisers: Charlotte Taylor, Tony McEnery, Vaclav Brezina, Anna Marchi

Contact: festivalofmethods at gmail.com