27.399, Jobs: Language Documentation: Assistant Professor, University of Hawaii at Manoa

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Jan 21 17:17:15 UTC 2016

LINGUIST List: Vol-27-399. Thu Jan 21 2016. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 27.399, Jobs: Language Documentation: Assistant Professor, University of Hawaii at Manoa

                   25 years of LINGUIST List!

Editor for this issue: Andrew Lamont <alamont at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2016 12:17:10
From:  Hiring Chair [linguist at hawaii.edu]
Subject: Language Documentation: Assistant Professor, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Hawaii, USA

University or Organization: University of Hawaii at Manoa, College of Languages, Linguistics & Literatures
Department: Linguistics
Job Location: Hawaii, USA
Web Address: http://www.ling.hawaii.edu
Job Title: Assistant Professor of Linguistics in Language Documentation and Conservation
Job Rank: Assistant Professor

Specialty Areas: Language Documentation

To apply and see full advertisement:
http://workatuh.hawaii.edu/Jobs/NAdvert/22445/3643031/1/postdate/desc

Assistant Professor of Linguistics in Language Documentation and Conservation:
The Department of Linguistics at the University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa invites
applications for a full-time, tenure-track position (position no. 84110) in
Linguistics, with specialization in language documentation and conservation,
to begin August 1, 2016.

The Department of Linguistics, long known for its sustained contributions to
Asia-Pacific linguistics, is a world leader in language documentation research
and training. Our many influential initiatives include the biennial
International Conference on Language Documentation & Conservation (ICLDC), the
journal Language Documentation & Conservation, the Language Documentation
Training Center, and the Catalogue of Endangered Languages.

Duties and Responsibilities:

Assistant Professor:  Teach undergraduate/graduate courses in area of
specialization; advise graduate students; conduct and publish research in area
of specialization; pursue opportunities for external funding; perform related
tasks as assigned.

Minimum Qualifications: Doctoral degree in linguistics or related field from a
college or university of recognized standing (ABD will be considered, but
evidence must be provided that all requirements for the degree will be
completed by 07/31/2016). Applicants are expected to have experience and
expertise in language documentation and conservation, practical fieldwork
experience, and a successful research program. Evidence of successful teaching
in undergraduate and/or graduate linguistics courses is required.

Desirable Qualifications: Specialization in a language or languages of the
Pacific. We are interested in candidates able to participate fully in the
department’s many language documentation and conservation activities, and
whose research and teaching interests enhance and complement the strengths of
the department. We seek someone who is able to interact well with students and
faculty in our department and in other departments.

Salary: Commensurate with experience.

To Apply: Send a letter of application, CV, copies of key relevant
publications, teaching and research statements, names and contact information
for three referees, and transcripts (copies acceptable at time of application;
however, original transcripts required upon hire) by email to the application
email address below with "Assistant Professor" in the subject line.

Although electronic submissions are preferred, hard copy applications are
acceptable.  Priority will be given to those postmarked by February 29, 2016.

Incomplete applications will not be considered. Failure to submit all required
documents shall deem an application to be incomplete.

Closing Date: Continuous recruitment:  Evaluation of applications and
supporting materials will begin as applications are received and continue
until the position is filled. Applications received by February 29, 2016 will
be given priority.

Inquiries: Same email address as application. We regret that we cannot accept
applications via fax.

The University of Hawai‘i is an equal opportunity/affirmative action
institution. UH does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion,
sex, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability or veteran
status.

Application Deadline: 29-Feb-2016 (Open until filled)
Mailing Address for Applications:
	Hiring Chair
	Department of Linguistics
	University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa