27.407, Calls: Cog Sci/France

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Jan 21 19:11:17 UTC 2016

LINGUIST List: Vol-27-407. Thu Jan 21 2016. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 27.407, Calls: Cog Sci/France

                   25 years of LINGUIST List!

Editor for this issue: Ashley Parker <ashley at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2016 14:11:10
From: Eric Mélac [eric.melac at univ-montp3.fr]
Subject: Cognition Verbs: Modality, Evidentiality and Constructions

Full Title: Cognition Verbs: Modality, Evidentiality and Constructions

Date: 15-Apr-2016 - 15-Apr-2016
Location: Paris, France
Contact Person: Eric Melac
Meeting Email: eric.melac at univ-montp3.fr

Linguistic Field(s): Cognitive Science

Call Deadline: 25-Feb-2016

Meeting Description:

Cognition Verbs: modality, evidentiality and constructions
Friday 15th April 2016, at Ecole Normale Supérieure – 45 rue d’Ulm 75005 Paris
Organised by Eric Melac (Université de Montpellier 3 - EMMA)
LaTTiCe-CNRS UMR8094
Coordinated by Myriam Bouveret - Projet ENS Labex Transfers
Keynote Speaker: Jan Nuyts (University of Antwerp)

The emergence of cognition verbs in a language might be one of the first
symptoms of meta-cognitive reasoning (Recanati 2000, Sperber 2000). These
verbs are involved in a variety of complex constructions, which partly mirror
the intricate interaction between language and thought. Investigating
cognition verbs from a scientific perspective enables us to understand how we
stage our own ideas, and how linguistic forms encode our attitudes toward the
conceptual worlds of others. Urmson (1952) reinvestigated the philosophical
and linguistic questions these verbs raise, and Nuyts (2001) proposed to
distinguish two types of meaning: the qualificational and non-qualificational
uses. The latter use refers to the mental state indicated by the verb, whereas
the former is an expression of the speaker’s stance. Phrases such as I think
are extremely common in English, but its subtle meaning can only be fully
understood if we take into account the pragmatic and discursive levels of
language. This has led scholars to adopt a variety of methods – parallel
corpus research, discourse analysis, statistical research – in order to shed
light on the ever-evolving behaviour of these verbs (Aijmer 1997, Kaltenböck
2009, Kärkäinnen 2003, Dehé & Wichmann 2010, and  Krawczak & Glynn 2011 inter
alia).

This workshop will delve into the intricacies of cognition verbs from a
cross-linguistic perspective. We will analyse the near-synonymity of phrases
such as I think, I believe, I guess, I suppose, I imagine and I assume. We
will explore the challenge they pose to semantic analysis, and their ambiguous
modal and evidential status (Gosselin 2014).  We will try to explain what
motivates this evolution pattern (Cappelli 2007 and Melac 2014), and describe
further the processes of grammaticalisation and cooptation that are at stake
(Heine 2013). Finally, we will investigate whether the phenomena surrounding
the use of cognition verbs in English are relevant cross-linguistically by
looking at the data from a sample of languages.

Call for Papers:

Authors are invited to submit contributions in English or French based on
their personal research on cognition verbs and the questions confronted in the
workshop presentation. Their abstracts will be evaluated by two members of the
scientific committee.

- The abstract should be anonymous
- The abstract should be no longer than 2 pages including references (word or
PDF format)
- The abstract should specify clearly the research question, the methodology
and some of the results
- The email should contain the title of the abstract, 5 keywords, the name of
the author and their affiliation
- Please submit the abstract to eric.melac at univ-montp3.fr

Scientific Committee   Jacques Brès (Montpellier 3), Eric Corre (Paris 3),
Dylan Glynn (Paris 8), Eric Mélac (Montpellier 3) and Debra Ziegeler (Paris
3).

Dates
Workshop: 15 April 2016 (at ENS-Ulm)
Submission: 25 February 2016